Question

Getting charged for not using my phone

• 11 April 2022
  • 1 reply

I was struggling financially and thought my phone was one of those bills I could cut off since it didn’t seem like a priority. I use wifi everywhere I go and only contact people through messengers so I didn’t need any minutes or data or texts. The phone I have is not from id either so it’s not like I’m paying it off. 

I cancelled my direct debit with id a few months ago and promptly, when the month ended, they cut off my service. I therefore haven’t had any data, haven’t been making any calls or sending any texts at all during that time. And yet I get a text from a debt collecting agency telling me I raked up a whole bunch of debt with id for all the months I haven’t paid! So they were still charging me for a service I didn’t want or use?! I apparently owe over £70 in phone bills. 

Is there any way to dispute that with them? On the mobile dashboard there is no way to contact them. To call them I’d need to borrow a phone off someone because, again, mine has no service, but I can’t even find a phone number on the page. 

TLDR: cancelled my dd, still got charged for a few months even though my service was cut off, can it be disputed?

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Natalia Durak,

The short answer is that cancelling your direct debit doesn’t cancel your contract with iD Mobile - there an explanation in the “Leaving iD Mobile? Don’t cancel your Direct Debit” community article.

If you want to dispute the debt, you could try making a complaint using iD Mobile’s complaints procedure.

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted - good luck.

Why iD Mobile?