Question

Good coverage but very slow or absolutely no internet connection

• 6 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve recently become an iD Mobile client by getting a new SIM card and subscribing to a new 1-month plan. Everything sounded alright before I actually started using the mobile data. Pretty much everywhere in London I can get a good signal of 4-5 bars. The internet speed however is veeeeeeeeery slow and most of the times it’s not even there. There are certain places in London however where I have especially experienced problems - Startford and Oxford Street in Central London. Coverage is 5 bars, 4G is on and should be working, but the speed is only 1-2 mbps which absolutely nothing. Basically it’s not there… My Android smartphone is set to automatically connect to the access point it finds best, so that has not been changed. There’s no 5G support on my device, but at least 4G should be working alright. However, it’s not. For some reason Three’s clients don’t experience any issues, whereas iD users struggle with slow internet speeds, even though both providers use Three’s network. Now, how does this happen?! There is definitely something going on, because I am not the only one. There are many people experiencing the same issues. I’m pretty sure iD are slowing down speeds on purpose… There’s no other explanation. There is no way the signal can be bad in Stratford, on Oxford Street or in Mile End, simply because this is London. If users experience issues in the capital of Britain, then what’s left for all other parts of the UK?! This is just a nightmare in my opinion. iD please fix this as soon as possible or otherwise you’re going to lose a lot of clients… 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Nikolay Budurov,

The areas of London you mention will almost certainly be very congested, especially at certain times in the day - when did you test the download speed?

How do you know devices on three UK plans are working better?

I also recommend checking for any network issues or problems using the following page:

http://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support

Because iD Mobile use three’s network in the UK, your area might have ongoing issues due to three’s 5G ‘big-build’ project.

Anyway, good luck.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Nikolay Budurov,

It would not benefit ourselves or our customers for us to intentionally slow down internet speeds as you have suggested, so I can confidently advise we aren’t doing that.

You mention that these issues aren’t down to customers devices, this is also incorrect. It may not always be down to the device, but the device is a huge factor into the type of signal our customers receive (5G enabled, old phone, faulty handset etc) so to dismiss it entirely at this stage seems counter intuitive to me. Have you tried another SIM from a different network in the handset to see how it behaves? 

With regards to congestion not being relevant, I can confirm it is, especially in a built up area such as London. If work is being performed on any of the masts in London, the others will have to carry the weight of more usage and connection to them, meaning slower speeds can occur. If you have a postcode for me, I can check your local masts for you if you like to see if congestion is occurring.

As for 5G being rolled out having no effect on 4G, this is also incorrect. If we’re updating existing masts, then the appropriate maintenance is required, and whilst this takes place, it can cause downtime on occasions.

Things that may help us here are the answers to the following:

What handset are you using?

How long have you been experiencing this issue for?

Have you ever achieved fast speeds in this area?

Are there any areas you go where the speeds are as you would expect? (if so, a postcode would be useful for here to)

How long have you had the SIM card for?

How are speeds when you manually select 3G from your handsets network settings?

Cheers,

Will

This is old but I felt it might be worth chipping in ... I also have difficulty getting any connection at Stratford - that's not a one-off, it's happened two or three times now. The interesting thing is that my wife - also on iD Mobile - had perfect connections on those occasions. The difference between us is that she has an iPhone and I have an Android phone (reasonably new, Pixel 5).

In addition, my wife routinely gets speeds of 300 plus megabits at home through her iD Mobile 5G connection. I, on the other hand, get less than 100mbps - it sometimes starts a bit higher, but quickly falls back to somewhere in the low 20s or 10s most of the time.

So maybe this is an Android issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @rpkemp, I think it’s unlikely to be a blanket issue related to the operating system, but yes, signal strength may vary between handsets due to the components used and the way network traffic is handled on each.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?