Question

Google Pixel 7a upgrade with Google Earbuds promo missing

• 4 September 2023
  • 16 replies

I was offered a phone upgrade via the ID app which was a Google Pixel 7a phone with 25g data and unlimited texts and calls at £22.99pcm. It also suggested the promotion of receiving free Google Pixel Earbuds (Black) with the deal. I have posted the deal below. I thought it was a great deal so I have signed up to it. The phone arrived but with no Earbuds. I contacted the live chat for help and they sent me a link to a Pixel 7 phone and said that the deal is only with this so I don't qualify, however that isn't true as you can just select the 7a and the promotion still appears. Plus on the terms and conditions it also states on purchase of a Google Pixel 7a. Has anyone else been in the same situation? Seems false advertising to me.

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think only one of the Unlimited data plans is eligible for the buds offer @Turps1987

It says “on selected Unlimited data tariffs”, in the screenshots shown above.

Unfortunately, it seems the buds are only on offer with the £27.99/month Unlimited data tariff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Turps1987 

As suggested above by @andewhite the Pixel Buds-A offer is only for selected unlimited plans, although your plan may be an unlimited one, it may not be a selected one for the offer, sorry about this.

Tom

It seems misleading to me as the offer is attached to the phone and tariff selected. I was definitely swayed to get the upgrade based on this.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It seems misleading to me as the offer is attached to the phone and tariff selected. I was definitely swayed to get the upgrade based on this.

Yeah @Turps1987, misleading perhaps, though iD Mobile probably aren’t too worried. 
With hindsight, would you have chosen an eligible tariff to get the buds?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I agree from a consumer point that it looks misleading. I have just checked and none of the Google Pixel 7A (128GB) plans come with free Buds now. Maybe they ran out of stock? So it looks even more misleading now, as one would assume that you get them free on all plans as none of them say you do and none of them say you don’t.

No I wouldn't have gone with a higher monthly tariff in order to get the bids, but I was definitely swayed into the upgrade with ID for 24 months as I thought it I was also getting the buds. I may have gone with a different provider if I had known to see what else I could get for the same money. I think it's really bad. I've put a complaint in via the Live Chat.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps these offers have been designed to confuse.
Another dislike - although iD aren’t alone in this - is how their 24-month minimum term handset contracts combine handset repayment with line rental, leaving the customer in a position to overpay at the end of the minimum term, if they do nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Turps1987 

I’m sorry you feel that way about the deals, as far as I can see the offer clearly marks “selected unlimited data tariffs”, nowhere would be mentioned 25GB plans to get the Buds.

Tom

It shouldn't come up as an attachment to that plan then. It's very knowingly misleading, it wasn't clearly saying if you like this phone pay a bit more and get this deal, the main advertisement was that you get this with any Google pixel 7a and then plant a few words in the middle of the terms and conditions which then makes it actually void of deal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Turps1987 

Please could you show us any screenshot of the 25GB plan showing it comes with the Buds?

Tom

Hi @Tom 

Yes, the first photo that was in my original post shows the 25G plan and then below the tariff (on the webpage displaying only that tariff, so not a list of other information) there is a promotion section to get the buds with Google 7a. 

If it wasn't relevant then it should not have been on the tariff page, instead should have what promotion is relevant such as Disney+ or whatever.

Thanks,

Sean

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Turps1987,

As per the screenshot that @andewhite provided.

The promotion shows that the buds were only available on the last handset shown for £27.99 per month.

Kash

Hi @Kash 

My issue is that this offer should not have been suggested as a promotion on my upgrade tariff page. It is misleading. The fact that there is another webpage which shows the offers doesn't negate the misleading information on other pages i.e the one about my upgrade tariff. 

What do you think of the screen shot that I submitted, showing the offer on my tariff page along with the wording 'when purchasing a Google pixel 7a' and then also stating 'or when stocks last on selected unlimited tariffs' - this states that the offer is in fact on the purchase of any Google pixel 7a between the stated dates *or* when stocks last on selected unlimited tariffs' (suggesting this bit of the sentence is for unlimited tariffs' outside of the dates depending on availability).

I am really not satisfied with this. I also haven't heard anything from the complaint that was supposedly raised for me via live chat.

Sean

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Turps1987,

We are very sorry that you feel that way and we will pass on the feedback.

As per the screenshot it does show on selected tariffs which means that it would state that the offer is available on the selected tariff.

If you would like us to take a look into your complaint, please let us know and we can PM you.

Kash

Hi @Kash 

Yes please I would appreciate someone looking into it. I am not even sure if it was raised as I have not got an email to confirm. Would appreciate a PM.

Sean

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Turps1987,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?