Question

I'm trying to move my number back from Vodafone to iD but they're telling me i have to wait 7 days

Userlevel 1

I had a contract with iD that I wanted to pay off early so I've requested a PAC code and moved my number to Vodafone on a PAYG SIM. The number has now been transferred however when requesting a PAC off them they're telling me I have to wait 7 days for a new code to generate from them. Is this correct or are they telling me lies? 

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Allegedly, Vodafone currently have a problem following the mobile number switching procedure agreed by all the UK mobile network operators, and which is regulated by OFCOM.

This Vodafone issue has apparently been ongoing since 28-Apr-2023 - not great for people leaving Vodafone by using a PAC.

Userlevel 1

Would this not have happened then if I chose a different PAYG provider? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If the allegations are true, maybe not @AdamJW93
It seems difficult to get a straight answer from any of the mobile network operators. 

Userlevel 1

Ok. Thank for you reply and help 🙂

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

OFCOM rules state a service provider must issue a PAC within 1-minute, if you text PAC to 65075
If Vodafone aren’t doing this, they could be breaching the OFCOM regulations.

Userlevel 1

I brought this up to them and they said as they are providing the only PAC they have (the one I used to transfer my number from iD to Vodafone) they aren't in breach of these rules 🤷🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry, I’m confused @AdamJW93

1. You got a PAC from iD Mobile, and gave this to Vodafone - for a PAYG SIM card.
  2. After the number you wanted to keep was transferred to your Vodafone PAYG SIM, you requested a PAC from Vodafone for your PAYG account.
  3. Vodafone have declined to give you a PAC because?

Userlevel 1

Yes that's right. 

I tried the text method by texting PAC to 65075 however this came back with a technical error message and advised me to call and so I did. 

I was given a PAC code but this code is the same code used to move my number from iD to Vodafone. 

When trying to submit a transfer my number request with iD, it comes up with a message saying that I can't transfer an iD number from one account to another. 

Vodafone are saying this is the only code they have available. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Each operator has their own coding for PAC requests, in order to identify the losing service provider.

It shouldn’t be possible for Vodafone to generate a PAC, which matches the PAC you got previously from iD Mobile. I’ve transferred my mobile number a number of times and never received a duplicate PAC.

It sounds like allegations about Vodafone having PAC issues might be true.
Maybe you can get a PAC by visiting a Vodafone store and debating the issues in-store.
Anyway, the OFCOM rules about issuing a PAC when the customer asks for one are very clear, but frontline customer service probably don’t know.

Userlevel 1

Sounds like I've chosen a bad network to use then. 

I used to work for Vodafone and we were briefed clearly about issuing pac requests when a customer asked so they should be aware of it. 

Userlevel 1

My PAC starts VTM which is an iD PAC. They should be providing me with a VUK code. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Vodafone have got some front, telling you the only PAC they’ve got is an iD Mobile PAC.

It seems Vodafone are quite happy to flout OFCOM’s rules.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Vodafone is probably the worst network to port to. In reality one should wait 24 hours after the port in date before requesting a PAC to port back out. Doing so allows all the backend systems to sync and prevents problems further down the road.

Userlevel 1

Hi guys. All sorted now. Had to wait a day to get a new PAC off Vodafone. I did the text method to 65075 and got it this morning. Thanks for your help and advice everyone 👍

Why iD Mobile?