Question

I’ve had ID mobile for 3 days and my 4G is as slow as dial-up

• 3 September 2022
  • 13 replies

I live in a big city, there’s phone masts everywhere. My connection is just as bad when I’m outdoors as it is when I’m inside. So it’s not being blocked by walls, and there are no cranes or temporary structures in the way of my nearest mast. I was with o2 for 15 years and even their internet was never this bad. Why am I paying so much for 100GB data that I can’t use? If I play a video it will load one second every 20 seconds, surely this is unacceptable. If it doesn’t get sorted I’ll be leaving, thank God I have 30 days to trail this excuse of a network

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

And to make it all worse I can’t speak to a human being, would it really be that much effort to employ a few call Center staff, considering the mass amount of issues going on? this company is a joke 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If you want access to a call center then be prepared to pay for it! Signing up to one of the cheapest service providers who advertise low prices because they don't have expensive call centers, only then to complain they have no call center when you require help makes no sense.

Anyway, 4G speeds have always been poor on Three, great 5G speeds but poor 4G speeds. Three are working on this but only because 3G networks are scheduled to be decomissioned starting 2023. A good 4G data connection is required to make VoLTE calls.

Thanks for nothing paul, 100% useless comment, same as your network.

I am prepared to pay that’s why I’m leaving, Vodafone is £2 a month extra for the same thing so there’s no excuse for not having a human being to help customers.  

Also FYI I have a 5G phone and 5G on my plan and it doesn’t work either so don’t lie.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

My network? I'm just a customer like you! Vodafone are way more expensive compared to iD Mobile. I know, I'm with them! 🫣

If you have no 5G signal or poor signal overal then check for issues in your area here. You can also check the coverage map here.

However, if you want to switch to a network that offers telephone support then text 'PAC' to 65075 and give said PAC to Vodafone (if you want to keep your number).

Userlevel 2

Also FYI I have a 5G phone and 5G on my plan and it doesn’t work either so don’t lie.

Any reason to give your fellow customer such 'tude?

With any network that runs on Three you're getting what you pay for, service that can be anywhere between functional to great. With iD, Smarty and the ilk you're saving even more because there's no phone support. 5G absolutely works, though, but you'll need to be in an area where it's supported and even the Three coverage maps don't seem to be completely up to date as it shows nothing in my area, but I can walk to the end of the street and I'll connect to a great 5G signal! 

Why are you giving excuses for this network then? A mobile network is meant to do to things, provide call/messaging services and provide data. If it can’t do either or it shouldn’t be allowed to operate.

Paul you are wrong about this being so cheap.  Have a look at car phone warehouse, they have the best deals and are only selling Vodafone or iD packages. Each related Vodafone package is only £2 dearer.  I went with iD because of the Roaming services it offered not the £2 which is why I’m switching 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Why are you giving excuses for this network then? A mobile network is meant to do to things, provide call/messaging services and provide data. If it can’t do either or it shouldn’t be allowed to operate.

Paul you are wrong about this being so cheap.  Have a look at car phone warehouse, they have the best deals and are only selling Vodafone or iD packages. Each related Vodafone package is only £2 dearer.  I went with iD because of the Roaming services it offered not the £2 which is why I’m switching 

Okay @Brendy7, Carphone Warehouse is owned by Currys, who also happen to own iD Mobile.

None of the UK mobile network providers give their customers any guaranteed level of performance - read their terms and conditions.

You are of course free to switch whenever you’re unhappy with any given network provider’s service or performance. What made you decide to leave O2 after 15 years?

Ah ok I did find it odd they only provided 2 networks, so they just promote themselves basically. Is Vodafone anything related to curry’s then? 

I left o2 because of their terrible customer service, waiting an hour+ to speak to someone, having to go through 20 options each time, their data/call roaming when you are out of the country and because they constantly rang me, almost daily with telemarketing offers.

o2 were always able to provide 4G/3G and they likely rent and use the same broadcasting masts/towers that other providers do.

So I don’t see an excuse for iD’s absolutely pathetic  3/4/5G, I can’t even load google 90% of the time, nobody pays for their calls and texts anymore everyone is paying for the data they get and I’m not getting mine. 

How are you lot just rolling over and accepting this extremely unsatisfactory service that you are paying for? Are you all really that cheap you want to save £2 a month and not use the internet? 

Userlevel 2

So I don’t see an excuse for iD’s absolutely pathetic  3/4/5G, I can’t even load google 90% of the time, nobody pays for their calls and texts anymore everyone is paying for the data they get and I’m not getting mine. 

Note that not everyone’s experience is like yours. I’ve found Three/ID’s network a lot more reliable than O2’s (whom I left in 2021) especially in densely populated areas where O2 would show me a strong signal but the internet would not work at all, at least with Three/ID stuff mostly works in those areas and is even better in sparsely populated areas. The only negative, imo, is that there is no 2G fallback which O2 would fall back on in the depths of shopping centres, from Three I get nada!

One trick that I do use (and also used with O2) is to lock my phone to 3G in areas of really weak signal out in the sticks. I find in some locations that I can comfortably stream Netflix doing that when 4G struggles!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Ah ok I did find it odd they only provided 2 networks, so they just promote themselves basically. Is Vodafone anything related to curry’s then? 

Vodafone is a huge global communications company, not linked to Currys - they’re independent companies.

However, there’s a commercial deal between Currys and Vodafone UK for sale of airtime contracts on the Vodafone network through iD Mobile, Currys and Carphone Warehouse.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

One trick that I do use (and also used with O2) is to lock my phone to 3G in areas of really weak signal out in the sticks. I find in some locations that I can comfortably stream Netflix doing that when 4G struggles!

Between now and the end of 2024, this trick will stop working.

Three UK (iD Mobile network partner) are currently decommissioning their 3G network, which will be completed end of 2024. See the Three UK press release about this online at:
https://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/content/three-uk-to-switch-off-3g-by-the-end-of-2024-as-investments-in-4g-and-5g-gather-pace/.

Userlevel 2

Between now and the end of 2024, this trick will stop working.

Indeed it will, but the hope is that once that band is reallocated to 4G there’ll be more capacity that will help in those marginal areas. Here’s hoping…. (crosses fingers)

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Be careful, you could end up on a Vodafone basic tariff with no access to features like 5G, picture messaging, and roaming. There are other downsides to purchasing a Vodafone plan via a third party, I will let you do your own research on that.

Me, I use SMARTY as my personal network. I do have an iD Mobile account but my son uses that. Once the minimum term is up on that phone I will switch him over to SMARTY too. Vodafone is my work phone provider and 5G speeds are terrible on Vodafone. Never get more than 250MB (I get 900MB on SMARTY at times).

Why iD Mobile?