Solved

ID Mobile data in Spain

• 25 January 2023
  • 12 replies

Hi. I pay monthly for a completely unlimited ID Mobile SIM that I use in a motorhome router. It's used for watching TV,  Whatsapping and keeping up with the news, mainly. It has been working perfectly in Spain up until today. It has stopped working and I just get the message "No Service". My phone, using a different SIM and company, is roaming on Moviestar without any problems. My ID SIM was also using Moviestar until it stopped working 'out of the blue'. I have spent hours trying to get my data up and running again on my Moho router without success. Logging into my ID account shows no problems with my service. What has happened? Are there problems at ID Mobile's end?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 25 January 2023, 17:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sadly unlimited data is not unlimited when you’re roaming @Briggo.

Work out your monthly EU inclusive roaming data allowance using the iD Mobile online calculator at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy.

Scroll down to the “Open data policy” section on this online page, and input details of your iD plan. 

Good luck @Briggo

Thanks for your response @andewhite. I will check the pages as you advise. If I have unwittingly stepped out of the fair useage policy, surely there should be a message sent to let me know what's happened rather than just 'pulling the plug' and leaving me in the dark! There is nothing to indicate a contravention of policy in my online account area at this moment in time! 

Cheers 🙂

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You’d like to think so @Briggo.

If you exceeded your fair usage monthly roaming data allowance, or have been abroad more than in the UK over the last 3-4 months, or your bill cap is set to £0, you could encounter problems.

Anyway, good luck @Briggo.  

@andewhite   I've just done some more checking. It's strange. I only purchased this unlimited SIM card in November. I've been abroad with it for the last 2 weeks only, and for my current billing cycle I've only used 260MB, according to my online iD dashboard. I wouldn't have thought I was anywhere near reaching the limits of the fair use policy. I think I'm going to need to talk to somebody somehow! Anyway, I'll leave it overnight and see if it clears by tomorrow. Thanks again @andewhite

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Briggo our fair usage policy won’t kick in if you’ve only be abroad for two weeks, so this won’t be the issue here. It’s definitely odd for this to stop working all of a sudden! 

Have you tried manually connecting to other network providers while over there to test your services that way? 

-Lauren

Hi @LaurenThanks for making contact, it is much appreciated 👍

Yes, I have tried to manually connect to Orange and Moviestar as I've noticed these two networks pop up on my travels. Another device is currently using Giffgaff-Movistar.

I had been successfully using the iD Mobile SIM in my motorhome router until it stopped working. The router is a Huawei E5577Cs-321.

I'm just wondering whether an electrical spike has wiped the mobile network settings for iD Mobile, perhaps.

A mystery.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sam 🙂

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The iD Mobile roaming partners in Spain are Yoigo and Movistar.

FYI, iD only support use of their SIM cards in mobile phone handsets. Sometimes devices pickup the wrong APN value when roaming.

The correct APN value for iD Mobile is “id” (in lowercase).

Does your iD SIM card work in a mobile phone in Spain?

Good luck @Briggo

Hi @andewhiteMy original question (which you answered) mentioned I was using the card in a router. I bought the iD Mobile card after discovering others were using them in motorhome routers successfully. Indeed my card has only been in the motorhome router since I signed up in November, and has been working perfectly in the UK, France and Spain up until 2 days ago.

You mention the APN value. I'll see if I can attach a screenshot of the current settings being displayed by my router. I haven't changed anything on this particular page.

Cheers 👍

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Strange there seems to be a p/word value.

Page on manual input of APN settings, https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-your-settings, has no p/word.

Did you ever check the monthly roaming data allowance for your iD plan?

Good luck @Briggo.  

@andewhite for some reason my phone wasn't allowing me to access the APN information page at iDmobile.co.uk. Just used someone else's phone and I see what you mean about the p/word error. I'll see if I can delete it and go from there! According to my dashboard there is plenty of data remaining (screenshot below). I'll let you know if I have any success 👍

Hi again @andewhite

The mystery continues. Even with administrator rights I'm not being allowed to remove that unknown p/word in the APN settings. I'm at a dead end. I'm reluctant to put the iD SIM in my phone because I use my phone for everything / banking etc. and don't want to risk corrupting it whilst abroad. It would also mean taking it down to nano SIM size, and making it awkward to reuse at full size in the router, if it ever started working again! 

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Briggo,

Does your router have a settings option that you can access? Unfortunately we can’t always guarantee that it would work in a device such as a router. However the settings should be as below:

Name iD
APN id
Username <leave blank>
Password <leave blank>
MMSC http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc 
MMS Proxy mms.idmobile.co.uk 
MMS APN Username <leave blank>
MMS APN Password <leave blank>
MMS Port  8799

 *Anything with <leave blank> should be left blank, with no information. 

Kash

Why iD Mobile?