Question

ID Mobile SIM won't work in Huawei B535-232

• 21 December 2022
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 1

First Post on here, so not 100% sure where it should go.

As per the title, I have a Huawei B535-232, it works fine with a Lebara SIM, and looks to work ok with a Three SIM, but the iD Mobile SIM is not recognised by the router. 

I wondered if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows if there’s anything special / unique about the iD Mobile SIMS?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

31 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iD Mobile ONLY support use of their SIM cards in mobile phones.

You might need to adjust the APN value on your Huawei router - anyway, good luck @Cancunia.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Cancunia,

Welcome to the Community!

I hope the information that @andewhite provided helped.

If you require assistance with your APN settings, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I tried to change the APN to what I thought were the correct values. I can only change the APN when a valid SIM is in the router, but the changes seem to have taken so I think that’s done.

Unfortunately that  did not help, but maybe I have the wrong settings.

Please can someone post the correct APN settings for a data connection?

Thanks 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Are you sure the iD SIM card is active @Cancunia?

Does the iD SIM card, from your Huawei router, work in a mobile phone @Cancunia?

Userlevel 1

Are you sure the iD SIM card is active @Cancunia?

Does the iD SIM card, from your Huawei router, work in a mobile phone @Cancunia?

Yes, it works fine in my phone and also in another (not Huawei) 4G router. So the issue is with the B525-232 router, but I have no idea why.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah, any SIM card should just work when inserted in your Huawei router.

Have the Huawei community/forums got any tips for you?

Good luck @Cancunia

Userlevel 1

Yeah, any SIM card should just work when inserted in your Huawei router.

Have the Huawei community/forums got any tips for you?

Good luck @Cancunia

That’s my next stop, thought I’d see if anyone on here had the same issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Cancunia,

Just incase you haven’t already got the iD Mobile APN settings, these can be found here: 

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the APN settings, unfortunately adding the settings makes no difference. 

Is there anything special / unusual about iD Mobile SIMs, either in the physical or software side of things?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

All SIM cards used in the UK should be manufactured to the same GSM standard.

If the iD SIM card you’re trying to use in the Huawei router works okay in a handset, it suggests the issue is something to do with the Huawei router.

Lebara use the Vodafone network, whereas iD Mobile use the Three UK network. The Vodafone and Three networks use different parts of the radio spectrum allocated for mobile telephony, and probably have different technical solutions for delivery of their 4G services.

Has Three UK’s 3G network been turned OFF at your location @Cancunia?
Three UK are currently decommissioning their 3G network, which is due to be completed nationwide by end of 2024.

Good luck @Cancunia.

Userlevel 1

Yes, there’s definitely something strange about the combination of the router & the iD SIM card. I would say that it’s the router at fault, but the router works fine with every other SIM card I’ve tried. I’ll try some more next week.

Three 3G definitely works where I live, in fact it’s at least about 4x faster than the 4G.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Cancunia,

If other SIM’s are working it could be the SIM not working in the router or the router not supporting our SIM.

Unfortunately we can’t advise much on routers etc but you can contact the manufacturer to see if they can provide any further information.

Kash

Userlevel 1

@Cancunia,

If other SIM’s are working it could be the SIM not working in the router or the router not supporting our SIM.

Unfortunately we can’t advise much on routers etc but you can contact the manufacturer to see if they can provide any further information.

Kash

It’s certainly an odd situation, what surprises me is that I’m the first to come across this.

Is it possible to put me in touch with your 2nd or 3rd line support team via email or PM?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Cancunia,

Unfortunately, the 2nd/3rd line TechTeams are not customer facing so we can escalate tickets to them to look into but they wouldn’t be able to call you directly.

In this instance, I don’t think it’s a SIM issue if the iD SIM works in other handsets.

If the iD SIM card is not working in any handset at all, then it could be a faulty SIM.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hey @Cancunia,

Unfortunately, the 2nd/3rd line TechTeams are not customer facing so we can escalate tickets to them to look into but they wouldn’t be able to call you directly.

In this instance, I don’t think it’s a SIM issue if the iD SIM works in other handsets.

If the iD SIM card is not working in any handset at all, then it could be a faulty SIM.

Mohammed

There’s definitely something odd going on regarding the iD SIM & router combination. It may be something like the version of the SIM.

I’d be grateful if you can escalate this for me.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Cancunia,

Can you just clarify if the SIM card is working fine in a smartphone?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I can confirm that the iD SIM works in other devices and also that the iD SIM is the only SIM that won’t work in the Huawei router. I have tried SIMs from Three & Lebara in the Huawei router without issue.

Normally, I would just move on, but this problem is preventing me using iD for my broadband.

In order to avoid any questions about the SIM only being suitable for phones:

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/sim-cards-for-your-tablet-dongle-router-or-iot-device

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cancunia 

Unfortunately as routers aren’t officially supported by iD Mobile we wouldn’t be able to offer much support surrounding a combination of the router and iD Mobile SIM, if the SIM works just fine in a smartphone but not in the router we’d only be able to suggest the router is the issue.

We’d recommend contacting the manufacturer of the router for further support.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Regarding supporting SIMs in different devices:

-------------

Until 2018, the terms and conditions on many mobile phone SIM cards would prevent you from using the SIM card in devices other than a mobile phone. However, this changed in 2018 as Ofcom ruled that this was a breach of net neutrality as defined in the Open Internet Access Regulation:

The EU Open Internet Access Regulation, among other things, enshrines ISP customers’ fundamental right to access the content and information, to use the applications and services, and to use the terminal equipment of their choice through their internet access service through their internet access service. ISPs may enter into agreements with their customers on the commercial and technical conditions of the service, but in doing so they cannot limit customers’ core rights.

----------------

All I’m asking is if there’s been a change in the content or physical makeup of iD Mobile SIMs that might cause an issue, or when the last time was that such a change was made This is something that your 2nd or 3rd level support people should be able to answer. 

I am also in contact with the device makers on this issue and will report back if I get any news.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Cancunia,

I’m aware of SIM’s working in some routers as I have come across other customers changing APN settings etc.

If all settings on the router are correct and the SIM works in a handset we can only advise that the SIM won’t support the router.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of older iD SIMs working in this router with the same firmware version, which is why I asked about the last time the iD MObile SIMs were changed. Please can you get that info for me?

Thanks.

My wife has had a new mobile as a gift.

I have transferred the sim from her old mobile into the new one , but something is amiss.

it has not been used for a long time , do I.D. disconnect you if you don’t use your mobile

Thanks Tom 

Do I.D. disconnect you if you don’t use your mobile for a long time

Userlevel 4
Badge

Most mobile providers have a minimum usage policy, often 180 days; if no chargeable usage in that time, number is taken back by

provider for reissue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the issue of idMobile sim not working on the Huawei router mentioned in heading; mine works fine [same router model], with no setting

needing adjusting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Do I.D. disconnect you if you don’t use your mobile for a long time

Hey @Thomas Worth,

It depends on the type of plan.

For PAYG plans, it’s disconnected after 4-months of no chargeable usage.

For PAYM/Contracts, as long as you keep paying the line rental, it won’t be disconnected.

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of older iD SIMs working in this router with the same firmware version, which is why I asked about the last time the iD MObile SIMs were changed. Please can you get that info for me?

Thanks.

We released the “all-in-one” SIM plans around 2017 which replaced our previous plans of Shockproof, Takeaway and GoTo, combining the features.

There was also a change a few years ago when Apple made a change that stopped iD SIMs working in their new release at the time. 

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?