Solved

Iphone 14 Pro getting very Hot! - How can I get a replacement sent out

• 4 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello I have just moved from my Iphone x which was almost 6 years old to a brand new Iphone 14 Pro.

I have just used it to navigate using Google Maps to somewhere 30 mins away. It was connected via a small cable to car play which I’ve used for the Iphone x

It was extremely hot on both journeys there and back. That never happened to the Iphone x.
If it was going to happen I’d have thought it would happen on an old phone not a brand new modern one?

What’s wrong?

best,

Steve

icon

Best answer by Stevio777 8 August 2023, 18:19

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess the iPhone 14 Pro is using different internal integrated devices for the GPS navigation functions. 
Sometimes newer isn’t always better.  

I think in general GPS navigation is a power hungry application, for running on a smartphone.

The iPhone X does GPS/GNSS, whereas the iPhone 14 Pro does precision dual-frequency GPS (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS and BeiDou) - sounds power hungry. 

Maybe you can manually select a lesser GPS mode, which might reduce power consumption. 
Have you spoken to Apple support about this issue @Stevio777

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Define hot? What is hot to you is hot necessarily to the manufacturer. Did you experience an issue of some sort?

Userlevel 1

It was very hot to the touch so much I had visions of it bursting into flame. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Stevio777,

Welcome to the Community!

I have also had this issue in the past with my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

It may be the car charger adapter that is causing the issue.

However if you are driving with direct sunlight on the handset this can cause it to get really hot.

I would advise trying a different charger and seeing if that makes a difference. Please let us know if it keeps happening.

Does the handset get hot whilst on charge at home from a mains plug?

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hello I used my brand new  iphone 14 pro with carplay googlemaps connected with a cable from the usb charging port of the car. When I got to my destination only half an hour away the phone was red hot. I did the same coming home and once again it was red hot. I’ve just been into Currys and an advisor there said the phone was even warm to the touch when I handed it to him. Also the brightness seems to be playing up now!

Anyway he passed me onto another adviser and he gave me a number to ring 0333 003 7777 He said ring that number and ask them to send out another new iphone and they’ll pick my current one up.

I’ve tried that number every which way and there is no one to speak to! Don’t you just hate people wasting your time!

Does anyone know who to contact to get a replacement sent out. I’ve only had this phone 6 days.

I really do not want to take this phone into currys and cancel this contract only to take out another!

Best

Steve

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The 0333 003 7777 number is for the iD Mobile automated telephone service, intended for managing your iD account @Stevio777.

iD Mobile don’t have a telephone support helpline, but your iPhone 14 Pro might be covered by its 12-month Apple warranty. 

I think if I was in this situation, I’d ask the retailer for a refund, or call the Apple UK iPhone telephone support helpline on 0800 107 6285
🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Stevio777 

I’m not sure why the Currys advisor would tell you to ring an automated service line about a replacement device.

We can get in touch here and look into an exchange if you wish given you’ve only had it a short time (assuming you have purchased it from iD Mobile), however it could be worth sending Apple a quick message to see if there’s anything they know of to help.

Let us know if you require further assistance with this.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thanks Guys my phone was thru mobiles co uk

So they are sending me a replacement out

fingers crossed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Stevio777 

Glad to hear you’re in contact with them and getting this sorted, let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?