Solved

Just switched to iD but coverage isn't working - can you fix this or should I cancel and move?

• 27 November 2023
  • 11 replies

Hello,

I recently switched to iD and am still within my 30 days of switching. The coverage checker says that I should have good 3G, 4G and 5G coverage in my area (N8 and N4) however, as soon as I walk 5 minutes down the road into N4 I lose all ability to make & receive calls, texts or use the internet. Even though my phone shows several bars of signal and 4G/5G. Can you help? I spend a lot of time in my local area so if you cannot fix then then I need to leave iD in the next week. My phone is iPhone 15. Thanks. Laura

icon

Best answer by andewhite 27 November 2023, 22:56

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @LauraH, you can’t rely on the UK online coverage checkers because they only show you computer predictions of the probable coverage expected at any given location. 

The https://mastdata.com website has real-world mobile network coverage information for many locations in the UK - otherwise perhaps use a PAYG SIM, and check actual coverage at your important locations before committing to a new mobile network.

Ah thanks for this, didn’t know about mastdata.

Just checked and it does still show coverage in the N4 area. And I am more confused by the fact that when I am there, I see 3 bars of signal and 4G displayed on my phone and yet not calls/texts/internet is working. iD can you fix this? If not, I’ll have to switch.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like the N4 location might be suffering from network congestion, with local cell towers becoming overloaded, at times throughout the day. 

Three UK (the iD network partner) advise they use active bandwidth management at times of heavy network usage, which they call TrafficSense. 

If calls and texts work in N4, but mobile data performance is bad, this could also be indicative of lack of data bandwidth in the local area. It’s unlikely iD can fix capacity issues with the Three UK mobile network though.

Thanks for your reply.

Nothing works in the area - texts, calls or data. And it has been like that every day since I joined the network a week and a half ago...so not sure if that can be due to congestion?

why would it show on my phone that there is coverage?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If the local cell is transmitting, your phone would receive a signal.
Perhaps when the local cell is severely overloaded, it might be spending all its time trying to share its capacity amongst too many concurrent users.

Have you checked the current network status in the N4 area?
Check online at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network-and-coverage/network-support.

Thanks. I checked and it just says: 

I think Vodafone might have a better network coverage. I am also finding this ‘online only’ customer service pretty terrible…

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Many of the cheaper MVNO companies, like iD, don’t provide a telephone support service. If you’ve used Vodafone before iD, at least you know what their coverage is like.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @LauraH I am sorry to hear of the coverage issues you are having. You sound like you are still within your returns period, would you like any assistance with this?

Hi Sian, I’ve initiated the returns process through iD’s Facebook messenger.

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @LauraH 

Glad to hear you’ve been able to get support there, we’ll be in touch on Facebook.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?