Question

mobile data not working?

• 9 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello

my mobile data has started to become increasingly unreliable when I am out and about and need it.

either the internet page I am trying to load is blank or on the last occasion after a blank screen I eventually got a message that the ID network cannot be found. I have gone into my settings and selected ID as a network provider again but the issue has persisted since then and I am unable to access the internet via mobile data when out and about. I have a Samsung phone. Please advise.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like network congestion is affecting you in the locations you’re using your handset, or there’s a network fault in those locations.

Check for faults online at https://three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support. 

Otherwise, perhaps your iD SIM card has been damaged or developed a fault.

Thank you. I went to the same location twice the first time the mobile data did not work, the second time it did. This has happened across a few locations. Normally the mobile data works but on the odd occasion it doesn’t and it is a random occurrence. Does this change your answer?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Mobile reception depends on many factors @Zazalajanaka.

If the problem is not repeatable on a regular basis, it’s probably difficult to know why mobile data doesn’t work, seemingly at random.

Understood. my concern is in a situation when i really need the mobile data to work it won’t. 
I have lost money due to it not working previously. And living with unreliable mobile data is not an option unfortunately. Are there any steps I can take from my end to reduce the risk off this happening again?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

No mobile network operator provides universal coverage in the UK, probably because radio signals can be subject to all types of interference. In addition, the network transmitters have a finite capacity, and might need to be managed when there are too many users connected to a given tower. Coupled with this, operators have limits to their backhaul capacity, which is needed to move the data between towers and the core network. If this happens, the operator may have to manage the backhaul network, making mobile data connections very slow.

Perhaps all you can do is experiment with each mobile network provider, to find the one that gives you the best coverage and performance in the locations you want your phone to work reliably.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Zazalajanaka 

Sorry to hear you’ve had issues with mobile data signal, please could you provide the postcode(s) where you’ve had issues?

It could be worth trying your SIM card in a different device to see if the issue persists there too.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?