Question

My signal keeps dropping to H or H+ instead of 4g

• 30 April 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I've recently switched from BT to IDMobile. One thing I have noticed is that the signal is definitely weaker in my region, RG9 postcode. Often it drops from 4g to H+ or just H which really interferes with internet usage. I live 9 miles from Reading, Berkshire, so I guess it's a lack of mobile towers of something. But it's pretty annoying and not something I expected give IDMobile is using 3 mobile.

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Well don’t go signing up to any long minimum term contract otherwise when Three turn off their 3G network you will be left with frequent no signal issues.

Userlevel 1

Well don’t go signing up to any long minimum term contract otherwise when Three turn off their 3G network you will be left with frequent no signal issues.

Well, that’s just bloody marvellous isn't it?' This from the 3 website:

“Our plans to switch off 3G

We’ll be phasing out our 3G network service gradually over the next 2 years and switching it off by the end of 2024. At the same time, we’re working on bringing you faster download speeds, better quality streaming, and an even more reliable experience with our 4G and 5G rollout. 

We’re not alone in doing this; other networks in the UK and abroad are also in the process of phasing out their 3G service”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nictu 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had issues in your area with signal, have you checked the iD Mobile coverage and outage checker for your area?

Could you let us know the full postcode(s) where you’re having issues?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

The coverage checker doesn’t seem to be working, the page is blank underneath the title "Check Coverage and Network Status”

My postcode area is RG9

Many Thanks,

Nick.

Userlevel 4
Badge

try “3”’s network coverage page.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, I did end up trying 3’s checker which says i should have 4g, but that’s not what’s happening. 4G coverage is intermittent.

Nick.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks, I did end up trying 3’s checker which says i should have 4g, but that’s not what’s happening. 4G coverage is intermittent.

Nick.

Have you checked for network faults or service issues at your location @nictu?

Do this online at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nictu 

Please could you let us know the full postcode(s) where you’ve had issues so we can take a look?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Nick.

Have you checked for network faults or service issues at your location @nictu?

Do this online at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.  

Hello Geluk, 

Thanks for that, I just tried you link and got the following response;

“We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area

We’re sorry for any disruption you experience. Our engineers are working on masts nearby, which means the rest of our network is handling more traffic than usual.

Updates on our work will be posted here. We’re working as fast as we can to build a better, stronger network in your area.

You can find more help and advice below. And you can read more about our Big Network Build here.

Last updated on 07:15 pm 09 May 2023.”

Very interesting.

Userlevel 1

Hi @nictu 

Please could you let us know the full postcode(s) where you’ve had issues so we can take a look?

Tom

Hello Tom, 

Thank you for replying,

This postcode is pretty close. RG9 2ED

Many Thanks,

Nick. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nictu 

As shown in the post above by @andewhite there appears to be a reported issue in the area that Three UK are working on, along with some congestion that may be causing a slower service, sorry about this.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @nictu 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had issues in your area with signal, have you checked the iD Mobile coverage and outage checker for your area?

Could you let us know the full postcode(s) where you’re having issues?

Tom

I am having the exact same issue, indoors and outside, the coverage checker should have 4g outdoors but nope, and no problems in my area it says.

HU5 5NZ

It's always been spotty inside but outside its usually OK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @epsilonion 

There’s no issues reported at this postcode.

Have you had the issues since purchase or only discovered this recently?

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?