Question

Network has become very poor one week after joining ID

• 20 February 2024
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all. I had excellent network coverage the first week I joined ID (5G practically everywhere), now I am on 3G or one bar of 4G in Nottingham city centre. Not being able to browse the internet or use apps in a city centre is unacceptable. Has anybody else experienced this? It was fine last week!

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you checked online to see if the area is affected by a network fault, @petiteroses92

Try a status checker at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network-and-coverage/network-support.  

Userlevel 1

Hi andewhite. Thanks for your comment. I have - it appears ID are improving the network in the area but the information seems very vague. No lead time to suggest how long this will go on for. Not a great first impression as a new customer. Thanks again for your comment. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @petiteroses92, sounds like Three UK (the iD Mobile network partner) might be preparing cell towers and upgrading the backhaul network, in your area, as part of their 3G switch-off project. 

Three UK currently expect to have switched-off their 3G network infrastructure by end of 2024. Thereafter, only their 4G and 5G networks will be available for customers using the Three UK network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @petiteroses92 

Glad to hear the above from @andewhite was able to help, how long have you had issues in your area?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tom - I’ve had issues for the last three days: signal is so poor my calls are unstable and only getting 3G - cannot receive Whatsapp messages, apps do not work or browsethe internet. Could you look into this area for coverage/faults or can you report it, please? Postcode is NG1 6HQ. Thanks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @petiteroses92 

As seen on the iD Mobile coverage/outage checker Three UK are already aware of the issue and are working on a fix here, typically this is fixed within 7 days, if you’re still having issues on 26/02/24, please let us know so we can get in touch.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @petiteroses92 

As seen on the iD Mobile coverage/outage checker Three UK are already aware of the issue and are working on a fix here, typically this is fixed within 7 days, if you’re still having issues on 26/02/24, please let us know so we can get in touch.

Tom

Hey @Tom, thanks for the information, but curious to know how Three UK fix their network improvements, which one assumes are upgrades at the given location? 

Network status shown to consumers states: “We hope to be finished working on these improvements as soon as possible.”

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your replies @andewhite and @Tom. Shall be in touch @Tom should the network not improve by 26/02/24.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

Unfortunately I wouldn’t know the specifics of how Three UK fix a site specifically, I imagine it’s a different diagnosis and fix for each site which is catered to as and when.

In terms of the information given on the website about an outage, it’s best to keep it generic and simple, not everyone would understand if the engineer wrote exactly what was done.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Tom - the status report talked about improvements to the network, which seems to imply there wasn’t a fault.

Perhaps improvements are ‘code’ for 3G switch off and upgrades to 4G / 5G?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

It’s possible that the word “improvements” means taking 3G offline, it is vague enough to suggest that, with improvements they may need to switch off or change some existing stuff, which in turn would be noticed by the customer as a fault.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?