Question

Not receiving OTP messages from abroad

• 11 October 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello,

My digital identity provider from abroad is trying to send me OTPs for 2-FA but they are not coming through. I have done all the necessary checks at their end but the problem seems to be the Three network. I have got the same provider to successfully send OTPs to friends’ mobiles on Vodafone and O2. However when I tried various different Three mobile numbers, it did not work.

Needless to say, receiving OTPs is a key requirement. I have opened a case via chat but the agents keep asking me for new timestamps for when the messages fail to come through without actually ever resolving the issue.

Can someone please help with this?

Best,

fs

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Good luck with this @fs_london.

You could end-up chasing your tail with your issue.
iD Mobile don’t operate the mobile network, and in my experience tech problems get relayed from live chat team (frontline support), to iD tech team, to Three tech team, and then back again.

This process doesn’t seem to work.
I’d suggest finding an alternative way of authenticating, which doesn’t rely on SMS.
🤞

Hello @andewhite,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately an alternative to OTP messages in some cases is not really available.

And yes, the process you describe appears to be exactly what is happening. I am going around in circles without getting anywhere. What I find interesting is that the internet (and the id community for that matter) has a number of people reporting the same issue but I haven’t seen anyone come back with an explanation or an indication of how the problem was solved (apart from all the obvious checks).

I am hoping someone will fix it, similar threads on this topic are a few pages long but do stop - is it because people gave up completely or because some solution was eventually found?

Cheers,

fs

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Most people reporting this type of OTP receipt issue, in this forum, do so after switching their mobile number to iD Mobile, from another UK mobile network.

Have you recently joined iD @fs_london

I switched to iD mobile from Three at the end of last year

Anyone from iD able to help or suggest how to proceed?

Cheers,

fs

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Cheers,

fs

I’m not from iD @fs_london, but if this worked previously and has stopped working, I’d suggest asking iD to check your network account is setup correctly.

If you don’t mind waiting, I’m sure iD will response to your post in due course, suggesting you communicate via PM in this forum.

It might be quicker to get assistance from the iD Mobile social media team on facebook (using Messenger), or Twitter (by Direct Message - DM).

The normal iD support hours are 9am - 8pm weekdays, and 9am - 6pm weekends.

The social media team pick-up out-of-hours messages when they next start work.

Good luck @fs_london

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Cheers,

fs

Hello @fs_london,

We can assist via PM here.

We do however need time-stamps dated within 24-48 hours which we would send accross to our TechTeam and they would raise to Three UK as mentioned above.

I’m curious though, you have been with us for a year, have you not had issues with OTP before when in the UK?

As @andewhite mentioned this is mostly right after porting your number over that it can occur and fixed when raised to the network.

If OTPS were working fine in the UK but not abroad, it could be a different issue.

If you can advise whether you faced issues in the UK?

Mohammed

Hi,

The timestamp as follows:

19/10/22 17:03 UK time, from id.lepida.it

The issue is occuring in the UK. Please get in touch via PM.

Cheers,

fs_london

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@fs_london,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?