Question

Not receiving texts from microsoft (outlook)

• 21 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I have got my mobile number set up for two factor authentication for outlook and for the pst few days the texts from Microsoft haven’t been getting through so I can’t access my emails ! I’m not sure whether it’s an issue on Microsoft’s end or if ID are blocking these

Has anyone else had a similar issue or got a suggestions on what to do?

thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Do Microsoft offer an alternative way of getting the 2FA code - like a non-Microsoft email or landline?

Do Microsoft offer an alternative way of getting the 2FA code - like a non-Microsoft email or landline?

Hmm it looks like it will be complicated. I will have to prove that I am the owner by confirming email subject titles etc and I’m not sure how long that would take.

I haven’t had a problem before a few days and I am still receiving texts from friends, the bank etc

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I don’t use Microsoft 2FA but using an alternative email or landline to authenticate shouldn’t be complicated.

I’d expect the email sign-in process to offer an alternative if you’ve not received the SMS with your code. 

I don’t use Microsoft 2FA but using an alternative email or landline to authenticate shouldn’t be complicated.

I’d expect the email sign-in process to offer an alternative if you’ve not received the SMS with your code. 

Thanks for your help and suggestions first of all.

Whilst you would think this would be offered, it isn’t unfortunately hence I’m at this impasse.

Now the issue I guess is either Microsoft are not sending the code or ID mobile/their network are not delivering the code.

I will try and begin account recovery with Microsoft by confirming information and waiting for a resolution there as it’s probably my only option. Even if I have to wait a while.

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Strange, I know that Apple allow other ways of getting your 2FA code if your primary device is not available. I guess the trick is making sure you’ve got alternative ways of using two-step verification setup before things go wrong.

Microsoft say to make sure you've associated at least three unique security contact email addresses or phone numbers with your Microsoft account (your Outlook email address) for backup purposes.

Anyway, good luck @Liam3949.
🍀

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Liam3949,

Are you getting other OTP/codes from other businesses such as bank etc or have you received them since being with iD Mobile?

If so it could be an issue with Microsoft so may be worth double checking with them also.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?