Question

Phone number problems when I send text messages

• 18 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi, what can I do to stop this from happening? When I send text messages to other people it appears that I am sending with a different number, most of the time no one answers me because they do not recognize the phone number, and if they try to call back that number the exchange says does not exist the number.

When another person calls, the number appears correctly.

Thank you

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Cristian Iacob,

What mobile phone are you using?

Did you port a number to iD Mobile recently? 

My phone is a Google Pixel 6 Pro, and yes I port my number in December.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, thanks @Cristian Iacob.

If you started using your Pixel 6 before you ported your number, your issues might be due to the chat features option in Google Messages.

I recommend reading the Google Chat features by Google FAQ article, along with Google’s How to turn chat features off article.

If you started using Messages (while chat features was turned ON) with the number you didn’t want to keep, this might explain the problem.

In addition, I suggest checking:

Settings > About Phone (or About Device) > Status (or Phone Identity) > SIM Status

Or something similar - your ported-in mobile number should be shown there. If not, a network reset might fix things.

Anyway, hopefully this information helps - good luck.

Userlevel 1

I have a similar problem. My number ported correctly in every respect when I moved to ID in February 2020 except with respect to text messages. Here the original ID number still appears if I send a text but it can’t be used to reply. People sending texts to me must use my longstanding number which I ported. It is v confusing for people recotexts from me as it will appear to them as an unknown number. I checked my apple phone information in settings and see that this random number still shows there too. How can I rectify this. I appreciate that this is now 2 years on but I would like to sort this out.  

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have a similar problem. My number ported correctly in every respect when I moved to ID in February 2020 except with respect to text messages. Here the original ID number still appears if I send a text but it can’t be used to reply. People sending texts to me must use my longstanding number which I ported. It is v confusing for people recotexts from me as it will appear to them as an unknown number. I checked my apple phone information in settings and see that this random number still shows there too. How can I rectify this. I appreciate that this is now 2 years on but I would like to sort this out.  

Okay @Claire Crawshay, you could try the following:

1. Turn OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages), and turn OFF FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  2. Turn OFF your iPhone - leave it OFF for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Turn ON your iPhone.
  4. Tap Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT and confirm the correct mobile number is shown. If it's not correct, use the Edit option to "Add email or phone number".
  5. Turn ON iMessage (Settings > Messages), and turn ON FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  6. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed against “Start new conversations from:” - if not select the correct number.

Anyway, I hope this works for you.

I'm not on ID Mobile yet but I do have a Google Pixel 4a. I'm on Three but ported ages ago from EE (or was it Vodafone - I don't remember). I've been able to use my original ported number successfully after having done network resets etc., However, the number shown under Settings | About Phone | Phone number remains the original one that came with the SIM when I enrolled with Three. I once tried to edit the number using a SIM manager app, but without success. I'm told that it should be possible but is dependent on the phone.  I now want to join ID Mobile, but fear that the number on the new SIM will be fixed the same as the Three SIM which it will replace. I once went to a Three store to ask if they could supply a new SIM with the correct number but had no joy getting the assistant to understand my problem. Ideally, I would like to obtain the PAC code from Three then order a new SIM from ID Mobile that is loaded with my original number taken from the PAC. Then change SIMs and everything should be correct. Does anyone know if ID Mobile offer virtual SIMs (aka eSIM) which would solve the issue?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I'm not on ID Mobile yet but I do have a Google Pixel 4a. I'm on Three but ported ages ago from EE (or was it Vodafone - I don't remember). …
Does anyone know if ID Mobile offer virtual SIMs (aka eSIM) which would solve the issue?

There no eSIM option with iD Mobile.

Not many of the UK mobile network providers are offering eSIM support yet.

Why iD Mobile?