Question

Phone only rings twice

My phone only rings twice and cuts off before I can answer it. Friends who call me tell me that they’ve had the ringing tone their end for very many rings, but it only rings twice on my end. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A12. I’m trying to find out what I need to do to get this fixed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JWJ 

By default the ringer can last 30 seconds, this unfortunately can’t be changed to go longer but can be changed to go shorter.

To make a change you will need to dial **61*123** followed by the number of seconds you'd like it to ring for and then add a # symbol to the end.

For example, to change the time to 15 seconds, you will have to dial the following

**61*123**15#

Tom

Thank you Tom but I’m not concerned about the length of the ringer. I’m concerned that my caller can hear ringing on their end, but my phone isn’t responding. There is clearly a long delay in the signal getting through.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JWJ 

Apologies, so someone calls to you and you don’t see any call popping up on your side at all?

Are you able to try the iD Mobile SIM in another device? Does the same happen there too?

Are you able to make calls out successfully?

Tom

When someone calls me I’m unaware of it at first. There’s no indication on my side. Then I get a couple of rings but it’s just as the caller is hanging up their end. To complicate things further, I’m just finding out that this seems to be random. ie, not every call, not always the same caller. If it was only ‘friends’ affected I’d live with it, but I missed a call from the doctors a couple of days ago, which is what drove me here.

I could try the SIM in another phone but I can't always make this happen.

Calls out and all other phone functions appear normal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JWJ 

Thanks for the info, if you could try the SIM in another phone just to see if the issue still happens there that’d help us understand if the issue is with the device or the SIM.

Please let us know how you get on.

Tom

Okay, so these are my findings.

The issue is with my wife’s phone, an A12, and I have an A33. I switched the SIM cards.

The A33 (with wife’s SIM) appears to function as normal. A friend called it, it rang and it was answered as normal. I also called it from a landline. It rang and it was answered as normal. I then called it from the A12 and it rang and was answered as normal. 

The friend then called the A12 (with my SIM in it). The call went straight to voicemail. I called the A12 from the landline and it again went straight to voicemail. I called it from the A33 and it rang as normal.

I have not been able to replicate the issue I’m reporting but that doesn’t surprise me as it’s intermittent. 

I hope this information is helpful in determining what we should do next.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like there’s a divert all calls to voicemail setup on the handset.

This Vodafone online self-help article might help here:

https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/samsung/galaxy-a12-android-10-0/calls-and-contacts/cancel-all-diverts/

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@JWJ,

Please let us know how you get on with the information that @andewhite has provided.

If you require further assistance we can assist you further.

Kash

@Kash 

I’m sorry I dismissed andewhite’s suggestion as being completely off the mark. If it were a divert issue it would apply to ALL callers ALL of the time and it wouldn’t leave the caller listening to a ring tone for ages before finally ringing my phone. It just doesn’t fit with the symptoms of the problem. That said, I thank andewhite for his interest and for taking the time to answer my post.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry I misunderstood @JWJ

I hope iD Mobile can help sort this out, but my own experience with something similar suggests it might not be possible. Anyway, good luck @JWJ

No problem @andewhite and thank you for trying. I’m not hopeful about a solution, especially given the intermittent nature of the problem, but we need a phone we can rely on and at the moment it’s not looking as if ID can sort it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry to hear that @JWJ - although not entirely surprised.

I had to switch to another provider, to solve the problem I had with iD Mobile’s service. 

@andewhite 

My wife’s phone still has 6 months under contract but she’s already missed important doctors calls because of this problem. When health issues are involved, if I have to get her a new phone with a different provider, then that's what I’ll do. Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Okay, so these are my findings.

The issue is with my wife’s phone, an A12, and I have an A33. I switched the SIM cards.

The A33 (with wife’s SIM) appears to function as normal. A friend called it, it rang and it was answered as normal. I also called it from a landline. It rang and it was answered as normal. I then called it from the A12 and it rang and was answered as normal. 

The friend then called the A12 (with my SIM in it). The call went straight to voicemail. I called the A12 from the landline and it again went straight to voicemail. I called it from the A33 and it rang as normal.

I have not been able to replicate the issue I’m reporting but that doesn’t surprise me as it’s intermittent. 

I hope this information is helpful in determining what we should do next.

If the device may be faulty, you’ll be best getting it checked out.

Samsung handsets come with 24-month warranty so this could be something worth doing in your local Currys store (that is, if you can replicate the fault).

Mohammed

@Mohammed 

As I’ve stated previously, I can’t replicate the fault on demand. It’s intermittent. Would it not be worthwhile supplying a new SIM card as the next step? If you’ve read back you’ll see that my wife’s phone worked fine with my SIM card in it, so surely that points to the SIM card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @JWJ,

You mentioned that your SIM worked fine in her phone also which is why I didn’t think it’d be a SIM issue.

The friend then called the A12 (with my SIM in it). The call went straight to voicemail. I called the A12 from the landline and it again went straight to voicemail.

But we can certainly issue a replacement SIM if you’re after this.

You can pop into your local Currys to pick one up or we can send you a PM here and get one raised.

Let us know how you wish to proceed.

Mohammed

@Mohammed 

You’re right. This has been going on so long I’m getting confused myself. Since I don’t have a Curry’s very near to me I think trying a new SIM card would be worthwhile if it’s something that can be done without too much hassle to you or me. If I still have a problem after that then I’ll have no alternative but to send my phone into Currys under warranty. Can a new SIM be issued with my existing number or do I have to port the number after I’ve got the SIM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JWJ 

Yes, the replacement SIM would be just a replacement of the current one, once activated it’d hold your same number, use the same tariff and plan.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?