Question

Porting number whilst abroad

• 19 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

My mum’s moving to ID, but she delayed porting her number over to her new phone and is going on holiday tomorrow.  If she submits her PAC to ID whilst she’s abroad, would there be any issues with her number porting?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

You must be in UK, for it to work.

Userlevel 1

Thanks. Had assumed that you’d need to request the PAC whilst in UK, but porting the number is done digitally by ID, so wouldn’t matter where you were when port was applied. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

But the device using the iD SIM card needs to be in the UK, so the ported number can be used with the iD SIM.

Although the iD account would have all the correct information, the iD SIM would still be using the ‘old’ iD number, until you use iD’s home network.
🤞

Userlevel 1

Thanks, although just found another thread that says you can be roaming when the port takes place - 

Is there a reason you’d have to be on the UK network for the port to work, given it would surely be ID just swapping out the old number for the ported number on their infrastructure?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @DD13, so while the number you want to keep can be transferred to iD Mobile while you’re abroad, I don’t think it can be linked with the iD SIM card in your handset until you’re using the iD Mobile home network, i.e. you’re in the UK. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @DD13,

The port may still work but may not update until you are connected to the network which isn’t always possible when roaming especially when there’s a port that needs to process.

It’ll be best to port whilst in the UK, or wait upon return to complete this to avoid any issues or loss of service alltogether.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?