Solved

Problems roaming outside UK in EU

• 28 September 2022
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1

I was in France for two weeks and was supposed to be able to use my data and minutes there but even with roaming switched on and connected to Orange Fr I could not make or receive phone calls or send or receive text messages. Whatsapp worked when on Wifi but I was completely unable to use my phone  functions and could not access any codes from banks, gmail etc sent for two factor authentication. Does anyone have an explanation or solution?

Amazed to discover there is no phone number or chat function on ID - basically no customer support at all. I am going to Istanbul tomorrow and am worried about being unable both to access any codes, which will impact my ability to manage money, and communicate with the people I’m meeting there if I get into difficulties.

I intend to change my mobile provider as soon as I return home.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 28 September 2022, 17:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

19 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you allowed roaming in your iD My Account online @Umi Sinha?

If that’s not turned ON, then you can’t roam using your iD SIM card.

Since your post says you couldn’t call or text in France, it does sound like roaming was turned OFF in your iD account.

Good luck @Umi Sinha

Userlevel 1

I had an acknowledgement from ID when I landed that roaming was switched on, and also a welcome from Orange France.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Umi Sinha,

Your roaming worked at the airport where you arrived in France, but not anywhere else? 
What mobile phone are you using @Umi Sinha

To chat directly with iD visit their chat service at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat.

If you prefer, you can chat to iD via social media on facebook (using Messenger), or send them a DM (direct message) on Twitter.

The iD agents agents work 9am - 8pm on weekdays (8am - 6pm at weekends).

If you use online chat, type “talk to a person” to speak to an agent, not the bot.
Any out-of-hours messages on facebook or Twitter are picked-up when the iD social media team next start work.

Good luck @Umi Sinha

Userlevel 1

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I’ll try them now.

Umi

Userlevel 1

Oh, and I’m using an iphone 6 so maybe it has something to do with the age of the phone.

Userlevel 1

This is what I get when I click on your link to live chat or any other ID mobile support links:

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: 638120044720339827

This is from a newish Macbook Air laptop.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This happens if you are LOGGED-IN to the iD Community in the browser you’re trying to use with live chat. I suggest:

1. Use the chat link after you have logged out of the iD Community.
  2. Try using the chat link from an InPrivate window in Safari.

In my experience, the customer service from the iD social media team is much better than from online chat.

Anyway, good luck @Umi Sinha.

Userlevel 1

Got hold of someone on twitter. He says roaming is switched on and all should work but it still says roaming is ‘pending’ on my phone and it should take ‘a minute or two’ but 25 minutes after switching it on it’s still unchanged. I’ll check again later.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Got hold of someone on twitter. He says roaming is switched on and all should work but it still says roaming is ‘pending’ on my phone and it should take ‘a minute or two’ but 25 minutes after switching it on it’s still unchanged. I’ll check again later.

You could try restarting your phone, or turning your phone OFF for 15 minutes or so - sometimes it helps in these situations.

Regarding your iPhone 6, it’s an APPROVED handset for use on the iD Mobile network in the UK, but iD Mobile’s EU roaming partners might be different. Not sure how you’d know though.

Good luck @Umi Sinha.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your help. I’m assured the roaming is enabled even though its still says pending. Thanks for your help @andewhite 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Umi Sinha, good that iD have assured you about roaming status on your iD account.

Just curious about where the PENDING status is being shown - is this when you’re signed-in to your iD My Account online and/or the iD app, while looking in “My services.”?

Userlevel 1

On the App on the roaming switch. It says my request to switch on roaming will take a minute or two to process but it seems to be stuck on “pending” and there’s no way to change it. Not sure how I’d switch it off again either.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

On the App on the roaming switch. It says my request to switch on roaming will take a minute or two to process but it seems to be stuck on “pending” and there’s no way to change it. Not sure how I’d switch it off again either.

Have you looked in your iD My Account online? - sign-in at https://my.idmobile.co.uk.

It may show a different status in your iD My Account online.

But, iD assured you ROAMING is turned ON - correct?

Anyway, good lick @Umi Sinha.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Umi Sinha,

If this still isn’t sorted, please let us know and we can take a look into this here. 

Kash

Userlevel 1

I had this issue during the summer whilst driving to poland.

It was to do with the APN settings. You need to remove them and re add them to fix the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I had this issue during the summer whilst driving to poland.

It was to do with the APN settings. You need to remove them and re add them to fix the issue.

Thanks for sharing your first @djones230,

This is fine mostly for Androids, but iPhones for some reason don’t seem to show APN settings so can be a bit harder to troubleshoot.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Arrived in Turkey and despite all assurances, and checking everything was switched on as instructed,  I had exactly the same problem again. No phone calls or texts could be sent or received. In the end, stuck at airport, I used WhatsApp using my mobile data on roaming - 3 or 4 messages cost me £16 on top on my usual monthly contract fee. I then bought a Turkish sim. In addition I have never been able to ring or text my partner or my son in the UK though I can contact everyone else - and no one at ID Mobile seems to be able to explain or fix this; they just metaphorically scratch their heads and say they can’t understand it. When I get back to UK I am definitely changing my mobile supplier. Enough is enough.

Userlevel 1

Arrived in Turkey and despite all assurances, and checking everything was switched on as instructed,  I had exactly the same problem again. No phone calls or texts could be sent or received. In the end, stuck at airport, I used WhatsApp using my mobile data on roaming - 3 or 4 messages cost me £16 on top on my usual monthly contract fee. I then bought a Turkish sim. In addition I have never been able to ring or text my partner or my son in the UK though I can contact everyone else - and no one at ID Mobile seems to be able to explain or fix this; they just metaphorically scratch their heads and say they can’t understand it. When I get back to UK I am definitely changing my mobile supplier. Enough is enough.

Turkey isn’t part of the roaming.

you need to delete carrier settings once you're back in the UK. You then need to restart your phone and it should start working.

I presume you used your iphone with another sim in the past?

Userlevel 1

I told them I was going to Istanbul - I knew it wouldn’t be free but I needed to be able to text my daughter on arrival - and they assured me it would work. Unless they thought Istanbul was in the EU.  I don’t texting would have cost me £16.

Why iD Mobile?