Question

Question re: multiple phones

• 8 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I have an existing ID account that expires in ~6 months, upgrade due End of Dec.

I have today pre ordered the Pixel 7, with a new 24 month contract.

My intent is to;

• wait until my new Pixel 7 arrives, then transfer my number to that phone and send off my old phone for trade in
  • Once my old phone has arrived and I have received the funds, cancel my existing phone, soaking the termination fee (because it’s essentially a net zero due to the bonus £150 from trade ins when purchasing the new pixel

My main question is (as well as, please someone tell me if I’ve done something stupid here), in terms of my actual ID accounts, can I merge them or is something weird going to happen?

Thank you!

Sophie

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6
  1. Your existing account doesn’t expire in 6 months, it will continue until you provide iD Mobile with a cancellation request or port the number out using a PAC.
  2. You cannot merge or have more than one number on a iD Mobile account.
  3. You cannot transfer or port a number from one iD Mobile account to another.

Basically, you will have two bills every month. If you want to close down and keep the number of your existing number then you will now need to port it to another network and then port it back to the new iD Mobile account. Take note though, if you port out the number today then a final bill will be generated with 6 months worth of line rental.

1. Your existing account doesn’t expire in 6 months, it will continue until you provide iD Mobile with a cancellation request or port the number out using a PAC.
  2. You cannot merge or have more than one number on a iD Mobile account.
  3. You cannot transfer or port a number from one iD Mobile account to another.

Basically, you will have two bills every month. If you want to close down and keep the number of your existing number then you will now need to port it to another network and then port it back to the new iD Mobile account. Take note though, if you port out the number today then a final bill will be generated with 6 months worth of line rental.

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry I wasn’t clear.

I’m aware I need to manually cancel my account, the rest makes sense - however it seems very odd to me that I cannot move my phone number between phones on the same network.

I’ll investigate that further, thank you

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m aware I need to manually cancel my account, the rest makes sense - however it seems very odd to me that I cannot move my phone number between phones on the same network.

I’ll investigate that further, thank you

I don’t think any of the UK mobile networks let you move a number from one account to another.

In order to keep the number you want, you’ll need to get a PAC and move the number elsewhere, then port it back to the iD account you’re keeping.

By using a PAC, the iD account you don’t want is cancelled/closed, once the number is ported elsewhere.

Good luck @Sophie Rachel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Sophie Rachel 

In this situation @WelshPaul and @andewhite have pretty much covered everything!

I’d probably just add on to the last message from @andewhite to mention that if you are choosing this method (sometimes referred to as a triangle port) please note that as you’re cancelling the original contract with iD Mobile that isn’t out of it’s minimum term you may face a final termination fee!

Tom

Why iD Mobile?