Question

Removing blacklisting from device reported by someone else

• 18 March 2023
  • 7 replies

I use an iPhone 11 Pro Max.  Bought originally by me in my name as a phone for my wife and for the last six months after she upgraded  I have been using it quite happily with my ID sim.

It stopped working yesterday - unable to call, use mobile data or send / receive texts.  The local Apple Store have advised me it is appearing on a national database as lost / stolen (not reported as such by us) and they are unable to do anything.  They said that the IMEI number may have been entered incorrectly and they have seen this happening before.  They pointed me in the direction of ID mobile to resolve the matter.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember my  password to get into my account and now cannot get a text reminder code to do so because the phone has been blacklisted.  Help please!

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Sorry and should have mentioned that I bought the phone appropximately 3 years ago.

Ok, so I have now spoken to Apple online support and Three who I originally bought the phone from who have confirmed that the IMEI and serial number of the device are not blacklisted.  I therefore have no idea why my ID service stopped working last night.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @David McGowan,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about the issues that you have had.

Are the services working now? Can you possibly try the SIM in a different handset?

Let us know how you get on and we can advise further.

Kash

Still not working, but the SIM works fine in other phones.   The IMEI number of the phone has apparently been added to the GSMA database but the original carrier who sold the phone to me on a contract have accepted it has been incorrectly added and are submitting a request to correct the record for me.  Very few people seem to know anything about how this works.

This becomes more and more curious.  The very helpful Recipero service reverted to me today advising that the operator which flagged the device in the GSMA database was EE / Orange.  The phone has no connection whatsoever with EE / Orange.  EE / Orange were entirely unhelpful today and I am none the wiser as to why they have reported a phone with no connection to them whatsoever as lost / stolen.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Most likely the agent entered a wrong digit when blacklisting a lost/stolen phone. As far as I’m aware, only the network that blacklisted a handset can remove the bar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @David McGowan 

Has your original carrier managed to get in contact with you to help you resolve this?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?