Solved

Roaming allowance

Userlevel 1

I have a data allowance with iD of 50GB per month and used this month about 6GB roaming in France. I am now travelling to Holland and I wonder how much free roaming I have left this month for roaming in Holland. 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 18 May 2023, 23:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You can use all 50GB while EU roaming @daveross.

The catch is the iD Mobile “Open data policy”, which effectively means some of your data allowance will be an extra cost if consumed while EU roaming.

See iD “Open data policy” https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy.

Their online calculator allows you to determine your plan’s data threshold, beyond which roaming data charges will apply. If your bill cap is £0, then you can’t be charged, but you won’t be able to use your full data allowance while EU roaming.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, but when I entered Holland I received a message stating:

Welcome to The Netherlands. If you have an Add-on you can use your monthly call, text & data allowance at no extra cost to call and text back to the UK, between EU destinations and to go online (fair use policies apply - see 3.uk/ow7). If your UK data allowance is greater than 12GB, you will be subject to our fair use limit of 12GB per month whilst roaming...(Emphasis mine.)  

Yet the calculator you refer to allows only 7.72GB a month (based on £10 p/m billing). Do I get the higher amount, being 12GB, which presumably resets on my billing date of May 14 (etc)?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seems that iD Mobile’s roaming partner in Holland thinks you’re a customer of Three UK @daveross, as evidenced by “see 3.uk/ow7”.

Like the iD open data policy - somewhat confusing.

Userlevel 1

My question is: which one do I go by, the SMS that I received upon arriving in Holland, or the open data policy? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @daveross,

Please refer to the iD Mobile Open Data Policy and not any texts received unless it was a text received via iD Mobile.

If you received the text from iD Mobile, please screenshot and send here so I can review further.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Mohammed. The screenshot of the message is:

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My question is: which one do I go by, the SMS that I received upon arriving in Holland, or the open data policy? 

I’d say the open data policy, because the SMS shown is not from iD Mobile. 
Some of iD Mobile’s European roaming partners seem to recognise an iD SIM card as being a Three UK SIM card, which is incorrect. 

At least you can use some of your UK data allowance while roaming in the EU - many other UK network operators charge fees for calls, texts and mobile data while roaming in the EU.

Three UK and iD Mobile are completely independent companies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @daveross 

I think @andewhite has you covered on all the information here, thanks for the help here.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Tom. I was waiting for a reply from @Mohammed as he asked for a screenshot of the SMS after @andewhite weighted in. Maybe he has a different angle on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @daveross

Just wanted to check who sent the text, but looks like it’s come from Three UK.

I’d refer to our Open Data Policy which will be correct.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Mohammed for getting back to me. I’m afraid the MH button is not on my screen, but your answer was very helpful. And I appreciated you digging further.

Why iD Mobile?