Question

RPI increase for new contract this year

• 8 February 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi All,

We are considering ID Mobile for our next mobile contracts (from Three) in the next week or so to take advantage of a good Samsung offer (for both of us).

However I am concerned that if we do this, after one month's payment of what we agree to, we'll be hit with the annual inflationary charge (RPI, CPI whatever it's called) which is likely to be sizeable this year!

Is there a point at which new contracts become exempt from this? Surely they can't expect you to sign up at one price and immediately be hit with the increase (even though I know it's in the Ts&Cs)?

Thanks. Emma

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +4

Hi @Emma206 

Please see the following;

“The April 2023 CPI +3.9% adjustment will apply if you've upgraded to or purchased a new iD Mobile 24-month handset plan on or after the 1st of November 2022 & before the 1st of February 2023.

If you are affected by the 2023 price adjustments, you'll receive a text from us in March 2023 confirming the exact adjustment that will be applied to your April 2023 bill onwards.”

Therefore if you were to start a new 24 month device contract with us now (after 01/02/23) you wouldn’t be subject to this years CPI rate increase.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/cpi

Tom

Hey @Tom does this also apply to new iD contracts taken through 3rd parties such as https://www.mobiles.co.uk/? They are offering me a much better iD contract than direct with iD. Keen to proceed if CPI is N/A this year. Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +4

Hi @Ian Gallagher 

Yes, these terms apply the same with contracts purchased via a third party too.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Emma,

They can, and do, just that.

I have been an iD customer for many years and recently upgraded my phone (which meant a new contract).  The online process of doing this buried the 14% increase that is about to be applied.

The cost of the phone is wrapped up in the monthly payments so the rise in my bill is huge!  (I get an increase in the service charges but the phone hasn’t cost them more by sitting in my pocket for two months, has it).

if the cost of leaving wasn’t so high I would be leaving them ASAP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Iain Black,

I’m sorry to hear that.

This isn’t a new process (besides changing from the Retail Price Index to the Consumer Price Index).

This is something we’ve done on our network and all network providers including EE, O2, Vodafone also do.

We do provide this in the Terms & Conditions which you’d have agreed to when making the purchase.

You mentioned you upgraded, and this would mean you’ve been with us previously so would have already been subject to prior RPI increases.

I can completely understand the frustration given the increase this time being much higher and we do provide a breakdown of this here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/cpi#:~:text=The%20April%202023%20CPI%20%2B3.9,the%201st%20of%20February%202023.

The figure is based on the figure from the Office for National Statistics which all networks use to calculate CPI/RPI: https://www.ons.gov.uk/

Mohammed

I migrated two of my contracts to ID monile form 3 but both have just been hit with a 13.9% increase. This mat be in the T&Cs but it’s crazy and is an effective increase of £12 a month. I’ll be going back to 3 at the end of the contract period as they are much more transparent about their T&Cs.

I migrated two of my contracts to ID monile form 3 but both have just been hit with a 13.9% increase. This mat be in the T&Cs but it’s crazy and is an effective increase of £12 a month. I’ll be going back to 3 at the end of the contract period as they are much more transparent about their T&Cs.

@Chris O'Donnell  I will 100% be leaving, so many providers are not increasing prices. extremely short sighted profiteering by Id Mobile.

@Mohammed

1. the leaving cost URL is not working. when will this be fixed? If prices do not increase until April, I take it any leave costs are calculated without the RPI increase? If not, please highlight the T&C’s clause detailing this.

1. what is the justification for the RPI increase? As I understand it, sim plans are not increasing? over my 24 month contract (without RPI increase) I’d pay ID £820. considering the phone which is a fixed cost, £650 retail, my data over two years is c. £170 or £7 per month. I don’t see how there are increased/inflationary costs associated with with a phone. Therefore, the 13.4% increase (£4.42 for me) is actually a 63% increase on data (£7).
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @andrew5034,

We aren’t aware of any issues with the link.

Have you tried via the app or a different browser?

The cost to operate and sustain a value-focused and highly reliable network is increasing. From our cost of supply with manufacturers, maintaining and developing the network infrastructure, and even the small but critical things – like delivering items to consumers. CPI and RPI price increases are affecting all areas of our lives, and unfortunately, this affects us and other businesses too.

We appreciate that price adjustments are of concern to consumers and are never welcome. However, inflationary pressure is hitting us all – both as consumers and as businesses, and the cost to operate and sustain our value-focused and highly reliable network is increasing.

Kash

Userlevel 3
Badge

Are RPI/CPI increases applied to any SIM only contracts?

Found answer: No

Why iD Mobile?