Question

RPI increase - if i change plan now, will it still apply?

• 20 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello, I've read a few bits on the website about the upcoming RPI increase, which this year is obviously pretty hefty. Through the ID Mobile app, I see that I can upgrade my plan for an additional amount per month that would work out significantly less than my current plan + RPI increase. From what I can gather, it would appear that if I do this (change plan after 1st Feb '23) then the RPI increase would not apply - is anyone able to confirm that this is the case please?

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @gbert84, if the upgrade option you choose includes a handset, YES the CPI/RPI increase will apply in April 2024.

Currently iD SIM only plans are exempt from the CPI/RPI increase. 

Inflation is forecast to be 2.9% by the end of 2023.

Hi @andewhite, thanks for getting back to me! I think I may fall between two stools there then, because I'm still within my 2 year contract with my current handset, so all I actually want to change is my monthly package in terms of data etc. So it's almost an amendment to my existing plan, rather than a "new" one if you see what I mean 🤔

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @gbert84, I don’t think you can change a 24-month handset contract until 60-days before the contract minimum-term end date (i.e. 24-months minus 60-days). 

I suspect you’re stuck with your contract until the minimum-term ends, or 60-days beforehand, when you’ll be able to upgrade to another minimum-term contract with iD Mobile.

All iD handset contracts have an uplift clause based on CPI/RPI + 3.9% being applied each April, as do majority of the other networks selling handsets on contract.

Yeah, not so sure on that @andewhite, in the app I've got the option to change my plan- I can't upgrade in the traditional sense, but I can definitely select a new plan (an increase only, no decrease available which makes sense of course). 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess terminology is ambiguous - change/update often mean the same thing.

Anyway, not too surprising you can pay iD Mobile more during the contract’s minimum term, nor that you cannot pay iD Mobile less than your contract’s value.

Hopefully OFCOM will, at some point, look into the fairness of the apparently arbitrary extra 3.9% part of the annual uplift.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @gbert84 

If you are making a plan change this would still be subject to a change in price due to RPI/CPI rates.

An upgrade after 01/02/23 would not be subject to the 2023 RPI/CPI rate changes, but would be subject to the 2024 ones.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?