Question

Screen Calls?

I have a Sony Experia and use iD Mobile for calls. How does one screen scam calls from getting through, like we can on a landline phone? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Tennyman 

Are you trying to block a number from calling you?

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

No, I need to be able to recognise what is a scam call and what number isn’t - Doesn’t everyone, for there are so many scammers out there?

I can screen calls on my landline so it is about time we could do the same on a smartphone - or not so smart, are they?!

I can block numbers quit easily but the scammers just ring again with a slightly different number - So I block them all and then miss a proper call!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Tennyman 

There are apps you can download for free that will block any suspected spam calls.

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Thanks, Michelle. I have looked at a few but none seem to work the way I wish. They say they will block scam calls ( i.e. every call from a number that is not in my phone list )but how do they know the difference between what is a scam call (to me) and what number a new customer or company I wish to make contact with. e.g. Last week I needed a company in Northampton to phone me for which I gave my mobile number. They did phone me but the number shown was a 020 London number so I deleted it!! How would an app know the difference? No, I wish the caller to have to say who they are. so I can receive the call or not. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Tennyman 

Have you tried using the Tru Caller app?

-Mohsin

Hi Mohsin, Thanks for your suggestion, however, yes I tried that one! - Firstly it wouldn’t allow my phone to ring long enough for me even to get the phone out of my pocket, presumably the time it takes to check the number! Then when I did get the first scam call it allowed it through. So, you can guess what happened to that app!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We are sorry to hear the Tru caller app did not work for you. I have had a look online and found the best way to reduce nuisance calls is to register for free with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS). They’ll add you to their list of numbers that don’t want to receive sales and marketing calls. It’s against the law for salespeople from the UK or overseas to call numbers registered with TPS.

Registering won’t stop automated marketing calls, also known as ‘computer-generated calls’. This is because the law only applies to people, not computers. You should talk to your telephone provider about how to stop these calls.

Registering with TPS also won’t stop calls from scammers. Find out how to report a scam.

To register with TPS you’ll need your:

• phone number
  • postcode
  • email address

The quickest way to register is to fill in the TPS online registration form on the TPS website.

If you can’t use the online form, you can register with TPS by phone instead:

TPS 24 hour automated registration

Telephone: 0345 070 0707

-Mohsin

Hi Mohsin, Thanks for your research and suggestions. I am booked with the TPS - but they only stop reputable companies from calling the registered number. In my experience, it does not stop a “scammer” who is by definition not reputable and doesn’t care about the law!!

I sent an email as you suggested to my telephone provider and in no uncertain terms, they said that the problem definitely is not theirs. They illustrated it by saying that they can not control what SIM people put in their phone! And what goes into that SIM is definitely in the telephone service provider’s court. i.e. iD Mobile So please try and solve it? Thanks and best wishes. Keith

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Tennyman 

You can report any nuisance calls to:

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/

The screening of said calls is done by the apps such as Tru Caller or through device settings and not something iD Mobile offers directly. We do apologise we are unable to provide you with a more favourable option here. 

-Mohsin

Hi Mohsin,

Thanks for that weblike to report nuisance or scam calls.

On your other point, you the telephone service provider and probably others are hiding behind apps that really are not good enough then? My landline service provider provides a super screening system which I would not be without. So, to repeat myself, my belief is that the mobile telephone service providers should do the same! and not leave it to third parties who don’t seem to care very much.

Keith

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Tennyman 

Unfortunately, many scammers can message you from new mobile numbers so there would be no way to block all these texts and calls as a network. We understand how frustrating this is, however, we can only advise using 3rd party apps that can only prevent so much.

-Mohsin

Why iD Mobile?