Question

signal dropping constantly and everywhere

Hi there. (Forgive typo in title..didnt see it til hit list and can't seem to edit the title!) I'm hoping I can hear from someone from ID on here as live chat never seems to be functioning and there's no phone number to speak to a person. 

I've not been with ID long but I've found my GPS signal drops constantly and everywhere - driving to town (Ashford), driving to small city (Canterbury) and even up to and around and in London I lose signal for chunks of 15-30 mins at a time. It's not useable! I need it for sat nav on my phone! 

Please help - never had this with any other company before. I expect it dips here and there but not for such a long time and in major cities and roads where I KNOW there is good reception with other carriers. 

Any help gratefully received

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Elisabeth 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had signal issues while on iD Mobile, I’d recommend checking your areas on the iD Mobile coverage and outage checker to double check they are covered by our signal network.

While we’d like to, we can’t cover everywhere, other carriers will have different signal coverage, we rely on Three UK for our signal.

Tom

Hi Tom

I do understand you can’t cover everywhere but can we not agree you should probably cover London? And other major towns and cities? 

As I say I completely appreciate all networks drop out here and there and maybe when driving you’ll be left with nothing for 5 minutes. But half an hour on a motorway passing through major areas and entering London - that is not really acceptable as just “we may not cover everywhere” - that has surely got to be an issue?

If that really is the level of your network coverage then it isn’t acceptable as to what you sell and I would be looking to be let out of my contract in that case?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi there. (Forgive typo in title..didnt see it til hit list and can't seem to edit the title!) I'm hoping I can hear from someone from ID on here as live chat never seems to be functioning and there's no phone number to speak to a person. 

I've not been with ID long but I've found my GPS signal drops constantly and everywhere - driving to town (Ashford), driving to small city (Canterbury) and even up to and around and in London I lose signal for chunks of 15-30 mins at a time. It's not useable! I need it for sat nav on my phone! 

Please help - never had this with any other company before. I expect it dips here and there but not for such a long time and in major cities and roads where I KNOW there is good reception with other carriers. 

Any help gratefully received

Thanks 

The GPS signal is not provided by iD Mobile. GPS signals are provided by a satellite operator.

Some handsets might allow you to choose which GPS satellite network to use.
You might need to see if that’s possible, and then experiment with different GPS networks.

For example, I think my iPhone can use any of the following GPS networks:

• US GPS
  • GLONASS
  • Galileo
  • QZSS
  • BeiDou
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Elisabeth 

If you could provide any postcode(s) where you’ve had issues we’d be happy to check what we’d expect coverage to be like in the area.

At the beginning of any iD Mobile contract you have a period of time to return your order based on being unhappy with the signal, was this option explored?

Tom

Thanks Tom but as I say it's for a period of 20-30 mins driving between 40 and 60mph. That would be a lot of postcodes to check. 

I didn't notice it when I started my contract as wasn't out and about as much since business still recovering from COVID. And honestly didn't think coverage would be such an extensive issue. I checked my home and office postcodes which are fine. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks Tom but as I say it's for a period of 20-30 mins driving between 40 and 60mph. That would be a lot of postcodes to check. 

I didn't notice it when I started my contract as wasn't out and about as much since business still recovering from COVID. And honestly didn't think coverage would be such an extensive issue. I checked my home and office postcodes which are fine. 

Can you kindly clarify if you’re talking about GPS reception, or the mobile network signal?

Hi Tom - GPS signal used for Google maps on my phone. I did check with Carphone warehouse who I signed up through with yourselves as to whether I should be talking to them about the handset or someone else and they said to call ID themselves (obviously not realising calling to speak to someone isn't actually available). 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi Tom - GPS signal used for Google maps on my phone. I did check with Carphone warehouse who I signed up through with yourselves as to whether I should be talking to them about the handset or someone else and they said to call ID themselves (obviously not realising calling to speak to someone isn't actually available). 

If there’s a problem using GPS on your handset @Elisabeth, I suggest contacting the retailer that sold you your handset initially.

Alternatively, contact the handset manufacturer directly because GPS faults should be covered under the handset’s warranty, assuming your handset’s still within its warranty period.

Good luck @Elisabeth

Doh 🙈thanks so much... I shall go back to carphone warehouse and say it's them not you 😁

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Doh 🙈thanks so much... I shall go back to carphone warehouse and say it's them not you 😁

Okay @Elisabeth, kindly be sure to tell the Carphone Warehouse you’re having trouble with GPS reception on your handset. 

If you don’t mention this fact, they’ll just tell you to contact iD Mobile again - good luck.

That is what I said when I first went in 😁but I'll show them this thread if they try to say to contact you again 😍

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

That is what I said when I first went in 😁but I'll show them this thread if they try to say to contact you again 😍

Strange 🤔…
iD Mobile are entirely terrestrial, and don’t have any control or influence over GPS network signals.
GPS signals originate from satellites orbiting the earth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the help here @andewhite.

Let us know how you get on @Elisabeth.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?