Question

Switching from ID mobile - to ID mobile

• 13 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello I had a sim only deal of £18 with ID mobile and my own phone (having purchased it over two years with ID mobile) Unlimited data, calls texts. I was out of contract so could cancel anytime.

However I needed to get a new I phone 15 urgently as lost previous phone.

I looked at the ‘upgrade’ packages with ID mobile but these were very expensive for the purchase of the phone and the offer did not have unlimited data - so any “upgrade” package (not sure why they call it an upgrade - in real terms, it’s not). I forget the exact amount but it was around £68-£70

As I was not under contract any longer with ID mobile - so thought I would shop around.

Uswitch showed a great package - unlimited everything and a new I phone 15 blue for £38 a month - two years. (much cheaper than I had been quoted from ID mobile in a like-for-like). 

I thought - Great - I will cancel my ID mobile and move to this account and then get a PAC code to keep my number.

However, when I clicked through to the details from Uswitch I saw that this great new deal was actually with also with ID Mobile.

So I called ID mobile and explained and asked if they could match this offer for existing customers.

I was told no. And quoted that much higher price.

I did say why are new customers via Uswitch getting so much more of a better deal than existing and loyal customers. Seems wrong. Over two years the price would be around £700 more. But the sales person said she couldn’t help further.

Needing the phone urgently, I went ahead with the Uswitch/ID mobile deal. It was £38 a month - tiny upfront fee - great all arrived with me yesterday. SO now I have two accounts with ID mobile.One with the old number - and one with the new number. Of course I just require one account.

Here is the problem. I would like to keep my old number, I requested the PAC code from ID mobile and I have that.

I have the full joining instructions now for my new account with ID mobile

However when I try and do the ‘PAC code keep number mechanism’ it tells me I cannot keep a number that is from the same provider.

I can see why ID mobile would do this for business reasons - but it doesn't seem very fair to existing customers.

Is there any way I can do this - keep my old number, close my old account with ID mobile and keep only the  new one??

The only way I could see this perhaps working is if I get the PAC code - go to another sim only provider like Vodaphone or 02 - with no contract, cancel anytime, cheap sim.  Move my number to them. Then leave them as soon as possible, get a PAC code and then transfer my number (from 02 or whoever)  to my new  ID mobile account. 

I think this could work - but its a huge fuss to go through.

The other option is just to cancel my old account with ID mobile and have a new number - but this is problematic for work reasons and stationary printing etc.

Anyone any ideas - or better still, ID Mobile, can you help.

Many thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Dawn Alford, if you want to keep your iPhone 15 uSwitch deal, then currently the only option to keep your number is:

• Get your PAC for the number you want to keep.
  • Get a PAYG SIM from another provider (like EE, O2, Three, Vodafone, ASDA mobile, SMARTY etcetera) and switch to them, using the PAC for the number you want to keep.
  • Once the switch is done and everything works, get a PAC for the number you want to keep, to use with your new ID mobile connection.

🍀

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Dawn Alford,

Welcome to the Community!

The information that @andewhite provided is correct.

We are unable to provide any other options or process an internal number port unfortunately.

Kash

Userlevel 1

This is SUCH poor service from ID mobile. I found myself in exactly the same position, end of contract wanting to upgrade but found exactly the same phone for ,£20/month cheaper. When I told ID mobile I wanted a cheap sim only deal they couldn't offer me one, the best deals are only for new customers. 

I have no option other than leave.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Liz Scambler,

Welcome to the Community!

I’m very sorry to hear that you feel this way.

Unfortunately some new deals are better than upgrade deals.

We are unable to price match deals as all the eligible deals will be available via your account.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi Kash, well here I am, back with ID.

Turns out the money Ch cheaper deal was cheaper for a reason - they were hopeless 😔 I'm now back with ID 😍 but struggling to get my old number ported back.  I've got a PAC code but the ID link isn't working for me to enter it, any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Liz Scambler,

I can see that we have responded to you via a different post.

If you still require assistance, please get back to us there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?