Question

temporary number being used in imessages

• 25 August 2022
  • 7 replies

My existing number successfully ported over a couple of weeks ago, however when replying to texts from my contacts it is always received from the temporary number ID mobile provided. Any idea why this might be the case when my existing number that I ported over shows up when calling out, rather than the temporary number. Do I have to do something in order for the temporary number to be forgotten? In iMessages Settings I can see that it says it’s coming from the temp ID Mobile and there isn’t an option to choose my actual phone number. If turned iMessages on and off and no luck still. Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What happens if you turn iMessage OFF, and leave it turned OFF when send text messages - which number does the recipient see?

Thanks for the reply. If iMessages is off then an SMS gets sent from the corrrect number. However, worth noting that although it does actually get received, my phone says message failed to send and has an error. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @binkybee, the following steps might help sort out the issue with your iMessage service on your iPhone:

1. Turn OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages); turn OFF FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  2. Turn OFF your iPhone - leave it OFF for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Turn ON your iPhone.
  4. Tap Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT and confirm the correct mobile number is shown. If it's not correct, use the Edit option to "Add email or phone number".
  5. Turn ON iMessage (Settings > Messages), and turn ON FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  6. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed against “Start new conversations from:” - if not select the correct number.

Good luck.

Hi, I’ve just tried all of the above steps and I’ve changed the number in Apple ID but iMessages and FaceTime still have the old number listed and no sign of the new one. What shall I do? Thanks. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @binkybee, seems like Apple still have your temporary iD number linked to your iPhone device.

You could try deregister from Apple iMessage at https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/.

Otherwise, @dylanb advised of a good video with steps to sort out this problem, which fixed similar issues with their iMessage and FaceTime.

Apparently the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNS8ud62Mxk could have some useful tips.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @binkybee 

If you’ve tried the steps above and the port has definitely completed on our side (if your old SIM has turned off this is the case) then I’d recommend speaking to Apple about de-registering the number associated with your iMessage account so that the desired one can be activated!

Unfortunately we don’t have any control over Apple’s iMessage service and can only advise if a port has completed or not, which is entirely down to the SIM, not the device. I’d recommend reaching us on Live Chat if you would like to make sure the port has gone over!

Tom

Thanks. After lots of off/on with the phone / iMessage etc and trying to deregister, it finally seems to have worked and now the messages come from the correct number. Thanks for your help. 

Why iD Mobile?