Solved

text message says failed to send…yet it gets through!

• 16 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I am Using an iPhone, message seems to go to other iPhones ok yet to android phones give error message “Not delivered”. Anyone else experiencing this?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 17 January 2022, 15:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Derek Sowden,

If you’ve recently ported your number to iD Mobile I suggest the following:

1. Turn OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages).
  2. Turn your phone OFF for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Turn your phone ON and tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
    If it’s not correct, please enter the correct number.
  4. Turn iMessage back to ON (Settings > Messages).
  5. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

If that fails, try doing a Network Reset as follows (applies to iOS 15+):

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Doing this will delete any saved Wi-Fi networks and their passwords you have joined.

Anyway, good luck. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite 

You’re right - I have just ported my number and I tried the points 1-3 you suggested and found that the number was still the temporary ID number I was given initially. I tried to edit the number but it wouldn’t stay altered, reverting back to original number each time.

I have found that I needed to reset Apple ID>Name Phone Numbers, Email>CONTACTABLE AT  to the correct number (after initially deleting the old number then going back in and inserting correct number). Then the number changed automatically in iMessage and FaceTime options. More importantly, ordinary SMS subsequently got through faultlessly.

Thanks for your advice and getting me onto the right track - never considered the phone would remember the initial number and that it wouldn’t automatically change once old number was ported. How many others must be in this situation!!!

PS didn’t go down the reset network settings route. Been there, done that, spent ages sorting out aftermath! 

Hello @Derek Sowden,

If you’ve recently ported your number to iD Mobile I suggest the following:

1. Turn OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages).
  2. Turn your phone OFF for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Turn your phone ON and tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
    If it’s not correct, please enter the correct number.
  4. Turn iMessage back to ON (Settings > Messages).
  5. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

If that fails, try doing a Network Reset as follows (applies to iOS 15+):

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Doing this will delete any saved Wi-Fi networks and their passwords you have joined.

Anyway, good luck. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The issue probably occurs because Apple register the initial iD number for their proprietary iMessage and FaceTime services, which do not reset when the ported number comes over to iD.

You might also have fixed this issue by:

• Sign-off your Apple ID
  • Turn OFF your iPhone, for at least 10 minutes
  • Turn ON, then sign-in with your Apple ID

Anyway, glad everything is resolved now.

Why iD Mobile?