Question

Third party arrangement on behalf of friend who has disability

• 3 February 2022
  • 2 replies

My friend who has a disability and lives in a nursing home has no network service after a new SIM card was put into her phone. A member of staff did this for her as I was not allowed to visit her as the home is currently in a lockdown. My friend relies very much on her phone and I need to try and sort this out for her. How do I go about gaining the authority to talk to someone on her behalf? I don’t have Power of Attorney for her, but she is unable to use the internet and emails related to her account come to my address. 

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Shariputra, only the account holder can make changes to the account, unfortunately. The only exception is as you say, if a third party has Power of Attorney. 

If the SIM was a replacement, it sounds like it just needs to be activated. This can be done in the iD Mobile App or My Account online by:

• Logging in to the app or online account. 
  •  Going to the 'My Services' page 
  • Clicking 'Activate my SIM'
  • Scanning your SIM card barcode or entering the 19-digit number printed on the SIM cardholder*

Once you click 'Activate your SIM', the new SIM will be activated within a few hours. 

*If you don't have the cardholder any more, don't worry - the number's also printed on the back of the SIM card itself. It's an 11-digit number, and you just need to add '89442001' to the start of it if you need to input it somewhere.

If you're not registered for iD Mobile App or My Account online, you can activate your SIM here. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

Rory

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Rory. I did activate the SIM online. A member of staff at the care home read out the 11-digit number over the home’s phone. I cannot be sure that she inserted the SIM card correctly, so that could possibly be the issue. I will visit my friend in the home as soon as I can and try to sort it out. 

Why iD Mobile?