Question

Transferred my number but other number showing when send texts

• 8 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello 

I've just transferred my number over from Vodafone and when I send texts the number that came with the phone shows.

I have an Android phone, a Pixel 8.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this issue?

Thank you in advance.

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Try the following, @MrsJ.

1. Turn OFF RCS chats (“Chat features”) in the Google Messages app.
  2. Turn OFF the handset and carefully remove the SIM card.
  3. Check the SIM card is clean and undamaged, before re-inserting the iD SIM card.
  4. Turn ON the handset.
  5. Turn ON RCS chats

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @MrsJ,

Welcome to the Community!

I hope that the issue is resolved with the steps that @andewhite provided.

If you still have the issue, please let us know and we can PM you.

Kash

No sadly this hasn’t worked and it is still sending using the number that came with the phone

When I reinserted the sim and turned RCS chats back on it wanted the mobile number, I entered the number I transferred, but it still sent using the other number.  If I now turn this off then back on it says trying to verify my transferred number and then goes back to the number that came with the phone

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You should never insert a new SIM that has a temporary number until your number port has been completed. Doing so results in the new temporary number being added to various services such as RCS, iMessages, Facetime etc.

You should try performing a network reset. Instructions can be found below:

https://www.androidpolice.com/reset-network-settings-android-ios/

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

When I reinserted the sim and turned RCS chats back on it wanted the mobile number, I entered the number I transferred, but it still sent using the other number.  If I now turn this off then back on it says trying to verify my transferred number and then goes back to the number that came with the phone

Does the correct number appear when you message with RCS chats turned off?

We just tried that after my son suggested it, as it showed correct on his phone and his is a more basic phone. When I turn it off it shows the right number.

I'm thinking I'll just have to send normal SMS as opposed to RCS chats, not that I know that they are 🤣

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

We just tried that after my son suggested it, as it showed correct on his phone and his is a more basic phone. When I turn it off it shows the right number.

I'm thinking I'll just have to send normal SMS as opposed to RCS chats, not that I know that they are 🤣

Indeed @MrsJ, the registration process for RCS is something Google manage.

If you use RCS chat features, all your messages pass through Google’s chat servers.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

not that I know that they are 🤣

RCS chat allows you to send text messages just like you can with WhatsApp. You can send photos, videos, audio files and emojis without incurring additional charges. If you try sending any of those over SMS, the text is converted to MMS and you are charged accordingly. 

Why iD Mobile?