Question

Trying to retrieve my Mum's messages after she died

• 6 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

My Mum died suddenly 18 months ago but we’ve only just got her phone back (due to the criminal investigation into her death). Her contract has ended and her account has been closed because of the length of time elapsed. I really want to retrieve her Whatsapp messages as I’ve lost them on my phone but need to re-start the sim with her number on somehow. I can’t get a PAC code as the phone has no network for texts. Can someone let me know how I can do this, I can’t get hold of ID in anyway and the Chatbot is not any use for this. Thank you!

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I’m guessing that you need the number active so you can reactivate the dormant Whatsapp app on your mum’s old phone?

1. Have you tried calling the number? It could be in use already.
  2. Was the number ported over to iD Mobile or did iD Mobile provide your mum with the number? If it was ported over to iD Mobile, then it would have been returned to the original network OFCOM assigned it to and iD Mobile wouldn’t be able to reassign it to you.

If the number belongs to iD Mobile and hasn’t be reissued then what you’re asking may be possible. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your answer, yes I would need the number active on her sim to reactivate whatsapp messages I think. 

I haven’t tried calling the number but I could try from another phone to see if its been reassigned.

Although, yes she was initially with ee so the number may have been returned to them, would they not be able to assign it to me then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Milla 

I’m sorry to hear this, unfortunately if the account has been inactive for that long we wouldn’t be able to retrieve it and provide a PAC code for it, sorry about this.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thank you for confirming this Tom

Why iD Mobile?