Solved

Unfair roaming charges

Userlevel 1

We are on holiday in Greece and both received texts to say roaming was free and we could use our mobile plans (data, texts etc) as usual. My phone is working fine but my husband has been charged to his price cap within the first few hours and now his phone won't connect to anything. Can ID help please as we can't find any way of contacting an advisor to sort this out! 

icon

Best answer by Tom 3 July 2023, 15:11

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TankGirl 

I’m sorry to hear this, have you tried manually switching networks on the device?

If one iD Mobile plan works and the other doesn’t it’d point towards a device or account issue, the plans should behave similarly.

Have you tried adjusting the bill cap back to what it was?

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

We are on holiday in Greece and both received texts to say roaming was free and we could use our mobile plans (data, texts etc) as usual. My phone is working fine but my husband has been charged to his price cap within the first few hours and now his phone won't connect to anything. Can ID help please as we can't find any way of contacting an advisor to sort this out! 

Okay @TankGirl, you can speak to an iD avisor using online live chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat.

The advisors work until 8pm UK time (on weekdays).

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the replies. I have manually switched the network as suggested by Tom and this has solved the issue - thanks Tom!

ID have since been in touch and refunded the charge. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TankGirl 

Glad to hear the above helped, please let us know if you need help with anything else.

Tom

I am currently working in the Republic of Ireland and although it stated on my text and your Web site ro.ing was included according to my app I have accused over £30 of data charges can you explain why please

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you travelled to Republic of Ireland by ferry @Matthew Hale, you might have inadvertently used the ferry’s mobile network, which is satellite based with high charges.

I used 99p on the ferry as I forgot to turn off roaming most of the charges have occurred since tuesday

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Matthew Hale, not all of your UK data allowance can be used when you’re roaming in the inclusive EU roaming area.

The iD Mobile “Fair usage & open data policies” will determine your inclusive EU roaming data allowance. You can find out your plan’s inclusive EU data roaming allowance online at: 
https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy.

Once you exceed your inclusive EU roaming area data allowance, you start paying per MB used.

OK thank you for explaining that I think that I have used my phone for emails and maybe a few websites I think if now £40 of charges is fair for that I will be cancelling my contract immediately I have worked in Germany France Spain and Ireland and used my phone for lots more than what I have done this week and certainly for no more than 20 minutes a day checking emails or sending texts and never been charged before my new contract started in May 

Every time I click on the link you sent me it says it is broken just like the help icon can't get anywhere and can't talk to anybody

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Matthew Hale, if you ‘tick’ the “Remember Me” option when you sign-in with your iD community account, and then try and use a link to the main iD website, it fails.

The quick solutions are: sign-out of your community account before visiting the main iD website, or open the link in an incognito / private tab / window in your browser.

If I was in your position @Matthew Hale, I’d talk privately to iD support about the roaming charges using their online live chat service, Facebook Messenger, or by Twitter DM.

The support teams work until at 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends). 

Tried numerous times to get through to live chat and nothing happens so really I am stuck unless I am in a hotel with WiFi it costs me money to turn on my mobile data so defeating the object. as I spend every other week in Europe it is cheaper for me to go somewhere else and just cancel this contract and take out a new one with someone else like I say I spend lots of time un Europe most of the time using loads of data and never up to yet a charge so just think this is a glitch on ID side but as I can't talk to anyone I have no alternative 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you’re after a UK service provider that allows you to use all your UK mobile data allowance while roaming in the EU, then you’re options are limited.

I can’t think of any UK SIM plan, which allows all of your UK data allowance to be used while roaming in the EU - all have a data cap with inclusive EU roaming use.

I think iD recently increased their inclusive EU roaming data cap to 30GB (from 23-JUN-2023). I hope you find what you’re looking for @Matthew Hale.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Matthew Hale,

We hope that @andewhite answered your query.

If there is anything else that you require information for, please let us know.

Kash

Not really unfortunately as he said 30 GB rolls over every month I only used 4 Kb and was charged over £40 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Matthew Hale 

Can you see what the charge is tagged as in the bill?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?