Upgrades

• 27 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Why does it cost so much more to upgrade. It's ridiculous 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It’s always cheaper to go SIM only and buy the device outright. Heck, you can get interest-free loans for devices even with bad credit these days!

Example:

1. An I Phone 14 128GB on a 24 month contract with iD Mobile will set you back  £993.22. You get 10GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts.

2. An iPhone 14 128GB from Amazon on an iD Mobile 10GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts SIM only plan for £7.00 (1 month minimum term) will set you back £943.76. You don’t even have to pay for the phone upfront! You can spread the cost interest free over a five-month period with Amazon.

The examples above are based on you signing up with iD Mobile as a new customer in the month of April and taking into consideration an annual CPI/RPI increase based on that of 2023. So, one can expect an upgrade to cost more.

I understand the price increases. But why are the new contracts cheaper than the upgrades. They should be the same. There seems to be no bonus for staying with ID mobile.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I understand the price increases. But why are the new contracts cheaper than the upgrades. They should be the same. There seems to be no bonus for staying with ID mobile.

That seems to be common practice for all UK mobile network service providers @Paul Woods. Companies rely on customer interia, and focus on getting new customers - they don’t seem too worried about retaining customers, as most just hang around.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Paul Woods,

Welcome to the Community!

We are sorry to hear that you aren’t happy with the upgrade offers.

Unfortunately the offers that you see can’t be changed and are the best offers we provide.

iD Mobile is always working to provide our new and existing customers the best prices.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?