Solved

Using my phone in America

• 28 February 2023
  • 2 replies

I am from the UK, and love ID. However, now I am working on a cruise ship that is sailing around Miami and the Bahamas. Of course my ID package does not work here so what can I do? Do I need to get a new sim or is there an add on I haven't seen?

Thanks 😊 

icon

Best answer by Lauren 2 March 2023, 16:45

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iD Mobile do not sell roaming add-ons @Lucy Southerton

If you have a dual-SIM capable phone, could get a local SIM to use in your phone along side your iD SIM card.

Good luck @Lucy Southerton

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Lucy Southerton, welcome to the community! If you’re working on a cruise ship, I’d recommend not using your iD SIM at all. I’ve linked the following excerpt from our website: 

When you’re at sea, we strongly recommend you don’t use your phone, and put it into flight mode until you get to shore. We’re advising this because roaming charges at sea can be very expensive.

If you’re going on a cruise, or taking a ferry on a journey like Dover to Calais, roaming charges could apply, even if you’re travelling between any of our ‘Inclusive Roaming’ countries.

The reason for this is because ferry and cruise operators often use their own phone network that’s operated via satellite. Connecting to a satellite network is much more expensive then connecting to a land operated network, so that’s why your usage at sea isn’t included as part of your Inclusive Roaming allowance.

If you follow this link, you can also find out what costs these maritime charges would incur.

International Calling & Roaming Charges | iD Mobile Network

For this one, I would recommend using a local SIM if you need to. 

I hope you find this helps!

-Lauren

Why iD Mobile?