Question

Voice dropping from calls and can't ring phone with no VOLTE from SMARTY Network

• 6 September 2023
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve been having an issue with your network for a while where I’m on a call and after a while the other person suddenly can’t hear me . Working out whether this is an issue with my phone , the network, or the person on the other end is what I’ve been trying to do for a while. 

I have recently had a new phone and it still does it and it has happened on several calls to other people. I have full 4G signal at my house and this has been happening for a while so it’s not due to work going on. Unfortunately I am going to change network to see if that solves it . I have had WIFI calling enabled and disabled which has made no difference and due to the signal being strong it wouldn’t have been using it anyway . 

The other issue is my son can't ring my Husbands phone (Sony XA2) who is also on ID Mobile from SMARTY mobile which also run on the Three network. My Husbands phone doesn't have voLTE . When my son rings it the call drops after a few seconds of ringing. If my son switches his phone to 3G only then the call will connect. 

Maybe this is what the issue is with the network something to do with switching a call from 4G to 3G I don’t know. 

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @jeanintheuk 

Please could you let us know the full postcode where you have this issue?

Does this issue happen everywhere or just in a certain area?

Tom

Userlevel 1

It’s the DE5 area. I don’t travel much to different places so I wouldn’t know. I’ve had this issue today and yesterday too. The call is still connected but the other person suddenly can’t hear me . It does say there’s work going on at the moment but I’ve had this issue for a while now. I have to hang up and make the call again. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It’s the DE5 area. I don’t travel much to different places so I wouldn’t know. I’ve had this issue today and yesterday too. The call is still connected but the other person suddenly can’t hear me . It does say there’s work going on at the moment but I’ve had this issue for a while now. I have to hang up and make the call again. 

If the online network status checker page says something like “We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area. Sorry for any disruptions this may cause.”, you’re not alone @jeanintheuk.

This status message has been displayed in my location for over 12-months now. Elsewhere in this forum, members have speculated this status is shown wherever Three UK (the iD Mobile network partner) are upgrading their backhaul network in preparation for 3G network switch-off - due for completion end of 2024. 

Perhaps these call quality and network performance & reliability issues will be history post-2024. 
🤞

Userlevel 1

My Son just rang my Husband From SMARTY Network whilst my Husband wasn’t in the same area and the call went through. Maybe this is a local issue . It’s a confusing one . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @jeanintheuk,

Can you please confirm the full postcode for us?

We’ll check it out and see if there are any issues in the area.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Yes it is DE5 3LZ.

My Son just tried to phone my Husbands phone who is in the same house. He turned WIFI off on both phones to stop WIFI calling from working .My Son is on SMARTY mobile. My Husbands phone rings but my Son only hears the ringing tone in his ear once. Shortly after the call drops. I have also tried answering his phone and there is no audio ,then the call ends a few seconds later. My Husband doesn’t have 4g Calling on his Sony XA2 phone. 

I am on ID Mobile as well as my Husband and I can phone him fine from a phone that uses 4g Calling.

My son did manage to call my Husband the other day when my Husband was in a different town though. 

The issue seems to be when the call is coming from a different network and the other phone doesn’t support 4g calling as my Son can phone me OK on my phone which does . 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Looks like there’s a network issue in your area @jeanintheuk

Userlevel 1

Yeah I noticed that the other day. It’s been on a while though that has. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed @jeanintheuk. In my area this message has been displayed for over 12-months now, and apparently all Three UK will say is there’s network congestion, and they don’t know when the issue will be rectified. 

Elsewhere in this forum, members have speculated Three UK are working on their backhaul network infrastructure, to prepare for increased data traffic with the upcoming 3G switch-off, and the anticipated increase in 4G VoLTE (4G Calling) network traffic. 

If this is true, then until Three UK finish upgrading their backhaul network, perhaps you’ve a case for some goodwill credits.

Userlevel 1

I’ve just been to my Sisters with my Son who knows a bit more about technology than me. Apparently she is on O2 PAYG. PAYG customers can’t have VOLTE or WIFI calling enabled so I think what was happening is her phone was dropping to 3G When I called her and the 3G O2 signal where she lives is very poor which was causing call to drop out. 

I’ve decided to stay with ID Mobile anyway as it’s a good deal . 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah @jeanintheuk, currently it seems O2 restrict their 4G Calling and WiFi Calling services to O2 pay monthly customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @jeanintheuk,

How long have you been experiencing the outage?

We can check with the team if you would like to see if they have an estimate time for a fix.

Please let us know here and we can PM you.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @jeanintheuk,

How long have you been experiencing the outage?

We can check with the team if you would like to see if they have an estimate time for a fix.

Please let us know here and we can PM you.

Kash

It’s been going on a while and this morning I phoned a company on their landline and the audio my end cut out. This is a brand new Moto G13 phone with all the updates installed. What I’m going to do is put my Husbands Sim in my phone as he is on the same network and see if the same issues happen when making a call. I have noticed though if I turn loudspeaker on then off the audio comes back. Maybe it’s a bug with Android 13 . I recently had a Nokia G10 phone and had the same issue. They were both running the same OS Version though so maybe it could happen on 2 phones. I’ll get back to you after I’ve tried another sim card for calls. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve just tried to calls with 2 sim cards in and thy both worked for 5 minutes. I’m going to put it down to network issues whilst work is going on as it doesn’t happen all the time . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jeanintheuk,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?