Question

What can I do to protect myself from the sim swap scam?

• 12 September 2023
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

What can I do to protect myself from the sim swap scam? Can I ask ID to never transfer my phone number to another sim card without speaking with me in person? 

This topic has been closed for comments

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @user2021,

Welcome to the Community!

Although we are always working to improve the security of our customers on rare occasions some can slip through.

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you think your SIM has been swapped or activated without your permission, please let us know.

We can look at blocking the SIM and sending you a new one.

Kash

Userlevel 4
Badge

What would be the best channel to notify you immediately. Most of the sim swap scams are happening when victims are sleeping, in the middle of the night. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What would be the best channel to notify you immediately. Most of the sim swap scams are happening when victims are sleeping, in the middle of the night. 

Perhaps leave an out-of-hours request for assistance via iD Mobile’s social media pages, by private message with Facebook Messenger, or a X (Twitter) DM. 

Otherwise, the online Live Chat agents are available 9am - 8pm weekdays (9am - 6pm at weekends). 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Facebook messenger? What about MySpace?

To summarise: no security measures to avoid this happening. 

Only damage reduction after it happened. 

You should read this and do better:

https://www.thestack.technology/kroll-blasts-t-mobile-after-sim-swapping-attack/

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks, an interesting article @user2021, but how has it been determined that iD have no security measures in place to avoid this happening?

Has aforementioned social engineering attack happened to iD Mobile, by bypassing their security measures?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks, an interesting article @user2021, but how has it been determined that iD have no security measures in place to avoid this happening?

Has aforementioned social engineering attack happened to iD Mobile, by bypassing their security measures?

I asked how can I protect myself, how ID is protecting the users?

I haven't received any meaningful answer. 

You said "we are always working to improve" but guess what? Every business on Earth is always working to improve, it is just a meaningless slogan.

In early 2022, the US FBI reported a sharp increase in money losses to consumers in 2021, and continuing into 2022, from sim swap fraud. The losses in 2021 alone were five times larger than the three prior years summed: “The FBI says that victims lost $68 million to this SIM-card based scam in 2021, compared to just $12 million in the three-year period between 2018 and 2020.” The FBI received 1,600 complaints about SIM-swapping in 2021, a sharp increase from the three previous years. The swaps happen quickly once the scammers have sufficient information to persuade a mobile phone carrier to assign a stolen phone number to their phone; the thefts of money happen when the thieves then receive the two-factor codes sent to the proper owner of the phone number.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

To be fair, number porting security isn’t something iD Mobile can just mess with. OFCOM set the rules and all networks must abide by those rules.

Any additional or extra security practices would need to be implemented across all networks and not just one. Even if SMARTY added some sort of check box or slider to your online account allowing you to prevent your number from being ported, they would still have to allow the port to go ahead if a request is received and a valid PAC submitted, otherwise they would be in breach of OFCOM’s rules.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I see. We all need better protection and security. Hope some mobile network will lead, innovate and come with the new process or new standards. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You said "we are always working to improve" but guess what? Every business on Earth is always working to improve, it is just a meaningless slogan.

I’m just a forum member like yourself @user2021, not an iD employee. 
I think the improvement slogan came from @Kash, who works for iD Mobile. 

In early 2022, the US FBI reported a sharp increase in money losses to consumers in 2021, and continuing into 2022, from sim swap fraud. The losses in 2021 alone were five times larger than the three prior years summed: “The FBI says that victims lost $68 million to this SIM-card based scam in 2021, compared to just $12 million in the three-year period between 2018 and 2020.” The FBI received 1,600 complaints about SIM-swapping in 2021, a sharp increase from the three previous years. The swaps happen quickly once the scammers have sufficient information to persuade a mobile phone carrier to assign a stolen phone number to their phone; the thefts of money happen when the thieves then receive the two-factor codes sent to the proper owner of the phone number.

Perhaps it’s the OFCOM rules and UK data protection regulations, which might make this kind of fraud less prevalent in the UK. Nevertheless, it seems skilful social engineering is an effective way of perpetrating fraud.

Considering the amount of screen-time many people spend on their smartphones, you’d like to think they'd spot an issue with their mobile number fairly quickly.

Not sure many companies would be prepared to say too much about how they’re protecting their users, as that could make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to operate. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m just a forum member like yourself @user2021, not an iD employee. 
I think the improvement slogan came from @Kash, who works for iD Mobile. 

Ok, I understand. However I think we both agree that what matters are achievements, recognized standards and facts. For example if ID network could say that in 2022 they recognized and avoided 98% of the attempts of the sim swap fraud I would be satisfied.

If I hear: “we are doing our best” , “we are working hard to” , “we are always protecting” etc. this is completely meaningless to me.

Perhaps it’s the OFCOM rules and UK data protection regulations, which might make this kind of fraud less prevalent in the UK. But, it seems skillful social engineering is an effective way of perpetrating fraud.

Considering the amount of screen-time many people spend on their smartphones, you’d like to think they'd spot an issue with their mobile number fairly quickly.

Not sure many companies would be prepared to say too much about how they’re protecting their users, as that could make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to operate. 

Here is the thing: most of the users affected by this report that it happened in the middle of the night and they have discovered after waking up that bad actors accessed many of their services, were able to gain access, change password etc.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps it’s the OFCOM rules and UK data protection regulations, which might make this kind of fraud less prevalent in the UK. But, it seems skillful social engineering is an effective way of perpetrating fraud.

Here is the thing: most of the users affected by this report that it happened in the middle of the night and they have discovered after waking up that bad actors accessed many of their services, were able to gain access, change password etc.

The fact all this happens in the middle of the night, seems to suggest the bad actors had been grooming their victims for some time. 

At least most UK mobile service providers don’t provide 24/7 customer service, so the bad actors may find it harder to be switching numbers to another SIM card, while their victims are asleep.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Many people authenticate with 2FA txt messages to the most important services they use, very often most of the financial services in their lives. 

Networks should recognise this and put more effort, go extra mile to reduce the risks.

But this community is probably completely disconnected from the business leadership making decisions. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed, however iD Mobile are arguably a no-frills MVNO outfit, so going the extra mile to reduce the risks linked to UK mobile number portability seems unlikely, especially given this is regulated by OFCOM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @user2021,

As @WelshPaul advised if a valid request is made with a PAC code we would process the port.

We can’t assume that the port is fraudulent as we would need to abide by OFCOM rules.

However you would usually receive a text message regarding the port so you can contact us right away if it wasn’t you.

I can see that you mentioned SIM swap in your original post were you referring to porting or a replacement SIM being activated?

Kash 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @user2021,

As @WelshPaul advised if a valid request is made with a PAC code we would process the port.

We can’t assume that the port is fraudulent as we would need to abide by OFCOM rules.

However you would usually receive a text message regarding the port so you can contact us right away if it wasn’t you.

I can see that you mentioned SIM swap in your original post were you referring to porting or a replacement SIM being activated?

Kash 

replacement SIM being activated

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @user2021,

If you do experience any issues please let us know.

We would send you a text to advise the SIM is on the way and your old SIM would lose connection once it has been activated.

Should you lose coverage on your SIM, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @user2021,

If you do experience any issues please let us know.

We would send you a text to advise the SIM is on the way and your old SIM would lose connection once it has been activated.

Should you lose coverage on your SIM, please let us know.

Kash

How long does it take between you sending a text message and SIM being delivered (I assume via post?) 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It’s Royal Mail so expect a 3-5 working day delivery time.

Userlevel 4
Badge

So, let's say that I received a txt message informing me that the new SIM is on the way. What is the best channel to notify you in case it wasn't me triggering the swap? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Live chat

Userlevel 4
Badge

I just googled "id mobile live chat" and Google suggested "id mobile live chat not working" 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

So, let's say that I received a txt message informing me that the new SIM is on the way. What is the best channel to notify you in case it wasn't me triggering the swap? 

Normally Live Chat, but Facebook Messenger and X (Twitter) DM allow you to leave out-of-hours messages. Customer service closes at 8pm weekdays, and 6pm at weekends.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I just googled "id mobile live chat" and Google suggested "id mobile live chat not working" 

You asked “What is the best channel to notify you” and that would be live chat. Whether live chat is working at that time is a whole other topic. Your next best option would be to DM iD Mobile via one of their social media accounts as mentioned in @andewhite post above.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Normally Live Chat, but Facebook Messenger and X (Twitter) DM allow you to leave out-of-hours messages. Customer service closes at 8pm weekdays, and 6pm at weekends.

How is ID Mobile going to verify that the Twitter handle is myself?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

When I’ve posted privately using an X (Twitter) DM, iD always began by asking for a variety of details to confirm I’m the account holder. 

If you’ve been socially engineered by the scammers, they might have this information already though. 

Replacement iD SIM cards usually take 3-5 working days for delivery, from date of dispatch. 

Why iD Mobile?