Solved

Unable to Change Extra Usage Charges Cap

• 2 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Charged for three texts from a premium number (88222) and unable to change Cap to ‘0’ to prevent further bogus charges. Get message telling me I cannot change until end of my billing month! Why? Can I claim refund of charges?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 2 August 2023, 19:20

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just contact the iD customer support team via online iD live chat, Facebook Messenger, or Twitter DM.

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends).
🤞

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think an SMS with “STOP”, to the short-code, should unsubscribe your number. 

The short-code industry consortium have a website www.short-codes.com.

ID, on 2nd time of asking, said they would refund the payments they made to fraudsters at 88222

I tried STOP, but from other sites, it seems criminals using 88222 unsurprisingly don't respond to STOP requests

ID say the are unable to block ID from paying my money to 88222 in the future. ID's only solution is to set my ID account to £0 extra payments, effectively turning my number into a zombie account. If I ever want to pay for premium services, ID will pay the balance direct to 88222. When I said that to ID they said there was  nothing they could do about it, but said they'd give me £10, which ID will presumably send to 88222 as soon as it appears in my account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Gee Soper,

iD Mobile is not able to provide a refund for these charges as the text subscriptions are signed up to from the user end and not by the network. We're unable to stop these or unsubscribe you to these from our end. In most cases, you will need to text STOP to the number to stop the subscription. Doing so may incur a further charge for sending the text, however, it should stop any further communication from them.

If you did not sign up to this subscription yourself and believe you have been scammed, we'd urge you to first contact the company directly to obtain a refund (and be removed from their mailing lists). There's a regulatory body called the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA) who regulate these companies. You can use their website at https://psauthority.org.uk to locate the information about the company. If you've already contacted the company and failed to retrieve a resolution, you can make a complaint via PSA directly.

Please also see the following article which refers to this type of situation: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/im-being-charged-for-unwanted-premium-rate-text-messages it may provide some further insight into these types of subscriptions.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?