Skip to main content

My signal was showing 4G 2-3 bars all day, and according to iD mobile’s coverage map Oxford is fine for 4G and even 5G. Yet I visited there last week with my wife (also on iD mobile) and neither of us could access anything via the internet (data calls, Google maps, internet browsing, YouTube etc). We had no problems calling each other with normal calls. 

This is a pretty big red flag. Any reason why this may be the case and anything we can do about it? 

Hi @DWEB 

Sorry to hear this, please could you provide the postcode(s) where you’re having issues?

Tom

Hi, it was actually across ALL of central Oxford. We parked at OX1 1TS, but the problem extended to all the surrounding area, so the entire OX1 area.

Hi @DWEB 

I’m seeing nothing in the area of OX1 1TS to suggest issues, 5G would be quite weak here so we’d recommend switching manually to 4G.

Are you still having issues here?

The issue is just with data, not calls and texts, correct?

Are you sure mobile data is enabled on your device?

Tom

Yeah, according to the map there should have been no issues, but both my wife and I had zero connection. As you said, calling was fine; we only had problems accessing data. 

Yes, mobile data is always enabled on our devices. 

Funny enough we had exactly the same issue today in the Swindon Outlet Mall (post code: SN2 2DY). The only way we could access the internet was to connect to the Mall’s WiFi. 

Any suggestions? 

Hi @DWEB,

Did coverage improve as 4G only?

At Swindon Outlet I can see the below:

There is, at times, heavy usage in this local area. As a result, you may experience varying data speeds depending on how many customers are connecting to our network via your closest mast.

We’re always working to improve our network and aim to provide the best experience possible.

Kash