Solved

New 5G phone. Can't get 5G. Do I need a new SIM ?

• 26 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Just bought a new phone. Pixel 6a. First time with a 5G phone.

I signed up to ID in 2019. 2 years before they launched 5G so I suspected I may have a 4G only SIM and might need a replacement.

Sure enough I’m only getting 4G on my new phone. Coverage website says I should get 5G. There’s no setting on the phone - its 5G by default… so I should be getting 5G but I’m not.

So as I’d seen on other postings, I started a live chat with ID support to ask for a replacement SIM.

Explained why. And they said no. They said the replacement ‘will be exactly the same as your current SIM’ so I don’t need a replacement !!

Is this correct? Were ID SIMs in 2019 already 5G enabled? 2 years before 5G launch ?

icon

Best answer by philbean 28 February 2023, 15:41

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @philbean,

5G doesn’t require a specfic SIM card.

You need to have:

A 5G enabled device

Be in a 5G area

what’s the full postcode of the area you are in? We’ll check the 5G coverage for you.

Mohammed

Thanks Mohammed but I’m OK now.

Following a tip on another site, I just removed and replaced the sim card in the phone and rebooted it and 5G is working now.

Bizarre but sorted. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Glad to hear it’s sorted now! 

I’ve marked it as resolved so hopefully anyone with the same issue can fix by doing the same 😊

Mohammed

no sevice isue , i try Go to Settings -> Mobile Data -> Network Selection. Toggle "Automatic" to off and select "iD"

But not show up from the list 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Roberta Rdz,

Welcome to the Community!

Is this a recent issue you have experienced?

Can you test the SIM in a different handset and see if that works?

You can check if there are any issues in the area via the link below:

https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support

Kash

Why iD Mobile?