Solved

Charged for leaving but im in cooling off

• 12 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I am requesting to move my number to another provider therefore cancelling my contract. I am in my 30 day cooling off period but I have an estimated final bill of £150.

Can you please ensure I do not get charged the 12 month line rental. 

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 13 July 2023, 12:43

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Using a PAC, and requesting a returns number to process a cooling off period cancellation, are two very different processes @I needto leave.

Assuming you asked iD for a PAC within your cooling off period, and used this PAC within your cooling period, you’ll have ended your contract within its minimum term and therefore most likely have to pay the early termination fee for the iD contract you purchased.

You can talk to iD privately about this using their online live chat service, Facebook Messenger, or by Twitter DM.

The customer service teams work until at 8pm on weekdays. 

I did use live chat and kept the transcript below

Please tell me where I did not follow the instructions 

I said I was in the cool off period/returns window and sim only plan it directed me to  the below

Hi there, welcome to the iD Chatbot. How can we help you today?

I wan to cancel my contract within my 30 period

We're sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving iD, so that I can assist you select from the below options:

·I want a better deal with iD

·I have found a deal with another provider

·I am leaving for other reasons

·I no longer use the SIM or Phone

I am leaving for other reasons

If we can offer you a really great deal would you be interested in staying with iD?

·Yes

·No

No

To ensure I provide you with the right information, please select one of the options below:

·End my contract 30 days

·End my contract STAC (Switch network, lose my number)

·End my contract PAC (Switch network, keep my number)

End my contract PAC (Switch network, keep my number)

As soon as you give your new network your PAC or STAC, your account should disconnect within one working day of you giving the code, your iD plan will disconnect as soon as your number has been transferred. If you're still unsure if you've successfully switched, please contact your new network. Please note we do not give out PAC codes via Webchat you will receive via an SMS direct to the iD number.

How you do want to submit your request?

·App or My Account

·Text

·I no longer have access to my iD account or phone

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @I needto leave, unfortunately without getting a returns number from iD, you won’t have followed the ID procedure for cancelling in your contract cooling off period, which is covered in the terms & conditions you agreed at the point-of-purchase.

Your chat seems have been with the online iD chat bot, not a person.
You don’t seem to have mentioned anything about cancelling during your cooling off period to their bot.

I’d suggest you talk privately to iD customer service about this by iD live chat, Facebook Messenger, or by Twitter DM.

The customer service teams work until 8pm on weekdays. 

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/returns-cancellations.

There was no option for a live person,I looked for it.

I went to that website returns and cancellation you rovided, I filled it all in and it took me to live chat.

You saw the transcript. 

It did not say ignore this because it is not a live person.

The website says returns and cancellations - grouping the two together. I therefore said cancel in 30 day period.

It said nowhere to say the word return. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi @I needto leave

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you’re having trying to return your plan and port-out.

I’ll get someone to get in touch with you via direct message here in the Community first thing in the morning.

Thanks,
Nikhil

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @I needto leave,

A return is not the same as a disconnection.

A return will cancel within the returns period marking the contract as returned.

A disconnection will cancel the contract but if you are still in a minimum term, you’d incur a termination fee.

I can see from your transcript you didn’t type the initial message correctly, hence the system thought you were cancelling.

Adjusting the message correctly, I was able to do this fine:

Hi there, welcome to the iD Chatbot. How can we help you today?
I want to return my contract within my 30 day period
Let's get started!

Where did you make your purchase from?
iD Mobile website or over the phone
Are you within the returns window?

You can return a purchase made from the Currys website within 14 days. If you're outside this returns window you will need to process your cancellation directly with us.
I'm within the returns window
What did you purchase?
SIM Only

You'll need to chat to us to process your return.

To speak to an agent click here.

As you can see above, this detected a return was required and offered to connect to an agent.

That said, we’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

I would say that common parlence is you cancel a contact, you don't return a contract. (I agree that you return a phone because it is an object)

I would suggest changing your chat bots algorithms.

To get to the chat bot I said I was in my 30 day returns periods (from the cancellation and returns website) so it should have know that.

Also the website title is coflating the two things
“cancellation and returns” as if they are interchangeable. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed @I needto leave - you wanted to cancel your order within the 30-day cooling off period, but inadvertently cancelled your iD contract within the contract minimum term.

It seems a grey area, given you ordered a physical SIM card from iD, which may or may not have needed to be returned to iD.

IMO the following community articles seem to cover the two scenarios reasonably well:

However, the chat bot doesn’t appear able to distinguish between cancelling a contract, and cancelling an order, which can’t really be conflated. 

Hopefully you manage to resolve matters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for your feedback @I needto leave 

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?