Solved

After number transfer, old phone receiving some, but not all texts.

• 19 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve recently transferred to id mobile from ee. Something is wrong with the text messagaing even after a couple of weeks. 

Some, buit not all my text messages, go to my old android phone. I can make and receive calls on my iphone, and send texts which are received, but some numbers only send texts to my old phone .

What’s going on, and how do I fiux this?

many thanks

James

icon

Best answer by andewhite 19 August 2022, 18:06

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Al Kenny, can you elaborate on the handsets involved?

Did you have an Android handset on EE, then switch to iPhone when you joined iD Mobile?

What SIM card are you using in your old Android phone?

Userlevel 1

I had an Android handset on EE, and then got the IPhone with IDMobile.

The old deactivated SIM is still in the Android phone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Al Kenny, not sure how an inactive SIM allows the handset to receive text messages.

It sounds like the EE SIM in your old Android handset might not be inactive - especially if it’s still receiving text messages. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Another possibility is your old Android handset was registered for RCS messaging by Google.

Luckily, you’ve got the old Android handset and I’m also assuming you ported your number from EE to iD Mobile?

Using the old Android handset, with Wi-Fi ON, should allow you to turn OFF “Chat features”.

Follow the steps in the Google’s online support article at https://messages.google.com/disable-chat.

Doing this means that anyone with an Android handset, using “Chat features” in the Messages app, should now send to your iPhone instead.

Hope it makes sense - good luck.

Userlevel 1

Thank you, kindly legend! I’ll give that a go. Weirdly the old phone is showing no network “Emergency calls only”. I should also turn the old phone off I suppose. I’ll give this a go this weekend when I’m unlikely to miss any work related calls.

I definitely ported the number - as I said I can make calls and receive them, and people receive texts but the old phone gets replies from some, and only some contacts.

Many thanks for your help!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you, kindly legend! I’ll give that a go. Weirdly the old phone is showing no network “Emergency calls only”. I should also turn the old phone off I suppose. I’ll give this a go this weekend when I’m unlikely to miss any work related calls.

I definitely ported the number - as I said I can make calls and receive them, and people receive texts but the old phone gets replies from some, and only some contacts.

Many thanks for your help!

The old phone is probably only getting text messages from those contacts using an Android handset with “Chat features” turned ON, in their handset’s Messages app.

Anyway, try the steps at https://messages.google.com/disable-chat on your old phone - there’s a good chance after doing this, all incoming text messages will go to your new iPhone.

🤞

Userlevel 1

Thank you. I’ve turned the chat features off and tested the texts with the missing contacts. It has worked.

Thanks once again, and have a great weekend.

Why iD Mobile?