Question

Can't receive one time passcodes

• 7 October 2023
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello all. I'll try and keep it short as this has been covered before. 

As the title says, since switching to ID I've been unable to receive OTP's/verification codes. Frustrating for a few reasons, but mainly because i can no longer access online banking through any apps. I've tried every online troubleshooter, no joy. They're all the same to be fair. I can send and receive sms messages without problem.

I've raised this with ID through the live chat. I feel like I'm talking to a bot rather than an agent most of the time. Their rep seems to precede them. The problem has apparently been raised with the elusive technical team, but after having spent the last 4 months being asked repeatedly to wait 24-48 hours for feedback, which never comes, I thought I'd see if it would be quickly to get a solution here. 

Cheers.

27 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Since switching your number to iD, how long has the OTP problem being going on @Swaitsy83

Userlevel 1

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply.  I switched to ID in February. I've had this problem since around May/June.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Swaitsy83, a couple of things:-

1. After switching to iD, receiving your OTP SMS messages was okay until May/June 2023? 
  2. Do you use iMessage or Android RCS messaging for your other text messages?

Userlevel 1

Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure. I don't really use sms much. It was only when one of my banking apps logged me out and had to issue an OTP to get access again that I realised I couldn't receive them, which was around the beginning of June. So the problem could have actually been there since switching to ID. 

The only thing I can be 100% sure of is that I had no issues with my previous carrier prior to switching. 

No, I don't use either of those. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

By default, most new Android handsets sold these days use RCS messaging with the Google Messages app by default, whenever possible. Perhaps you don’t use the Messages app at all.

It could be worth checking mobile number on record with your bank.
Maybe changing the format to 447--- --- --- might result in some success.

If not, there might be an issue with your iD SIM card or your iD network account.

Userlevel 1

I did try speaking to my bank. They were adamant it was a problem with the network carrier. They do have the correct number on my account, which is saved in the 447 format currently.

I've tried switching RCS on and off after you mentioned it, (it's a Samsung I use), but no joy with that. 

This is my second ID sim after the live chat agent suggested changing it. When I do contact ID through live chat, generally their answer is the technical team is waiting to hear back from Three. That's about all I get out of them.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Well, I wouldn’t be confident many customer service staff in the bank even know how SMS messages get from bank systems to your phone. I suspect most banks rely on a third party to provide a gateway for any SMS alert or OTP messages to be delivered to the given mobile network. 

It’s possible there has been an issue routing SMS messages to your phone ever since your number was transferred to iD. It’s also possible there’s an issue with your bank’s SMS gateway. 

The lines of communication between iD and their network partner Three don’t seem to function well, and in my experience if iD need to raise a support ticket with Three, it takes a long time before anything happens, and whatever does happen can be ineffective.

Userlevel 1

No, I don't suppose they do. I don't know if it might be an idea just getting back in touch with the bank again. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'm fairly well versed with that communication malfunction at the moment, there doesn't seem to be much else I can do to speed up the process. If there's a chance the results are ineffective anyway well, it might just be easier switching network.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Swaitsy83, not sure how long you’ve been waiting for iD to investigate/rectify the issue, but their technical support do seem under resourced and over reliant on Three.

I’ve resorted to switching providers, in the past, when they appeared incapable of fixing an issue in a timely manner. My problem didn’t reappear with the new provider. 

Userlevel 1

About 4 months. I don't think it's a problem that's going to be resolved any time soon. So it's looking like moving network is for the best.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you’re not too worried about a handset contract, perhaps SMARTY are a good option with low prices, 5G with all plans, and your UK allowances can be used for EU roaming.

However no telephone support like iD, just online support via web chat 8am - 8pm 7-days a week.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for that, I'll give them a look. It would be a sim only contract, my handset does me just fine. I work abroad so EU roaming would be the selling point 👌🏻

I too am having this same issue.  I can’t verify on any instant messaging apps like Whatsapp, SIgnal, Telegram etc and I haven’t yet tried the bank.  All this since porting my number across via a triangle port.

Help appreciated

Liz

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Swaitsy83 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having issues with OTP codes, I see you mention you joined us in February and had the issue with OTPs since May/June.

Was this issue present between February and May? It’d be very strange for the service to work and then stop randomly.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom, I suspect the problem has been there since switching network. As I say I rarely use sms so the problem was only noticed when one of my banking apps logged me out and asked to re-verify security information. 

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom. I suspect the problem has been there since switching in February. As I say I rarely use sms, I only noticed the problem when one of my banking apps logged me out and asked to re-verify security details to get access again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Swaitsy83,

Is the issue only with your bank, are you having issues with any other company sending your OTP’s?

Please let us know and we can PM you if required.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi, yes the problem is with any company sending an OTP via sms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Swaitsy83,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Sorry for the late reply. I'd spent that long waiting for ID to sort the problem I've just gotten to the ends of my patience, so I've ended up just switching network.  

I appreciate all the help though. Aologies to anyone with a similar problem that may have been following the thread for a solution.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry for the late reply. I'd spent that long waiting for ID to sort the problem I've just gotten to the ends of my patience, so I've ended up just switching network.  

I appreciate all the help though. Aologies to anyone with a similar problem that may have been following the thread for a solution.

Do your OTP messages now reach you, after switching network @Swaitsy83

Userlevel 1

Yes, they do. I was just waiting for my number to finish porting and then this morning woke up to a complete barrage of messages. 

I've since tried sending sms texts back and forward to various people and all services appear to be working as they should. I also now have access to my financial apps after a good few months 👍🏻

It appears the problem was network related. Possibly an incorrectly ported number when I last switched? I'm not sure. In any case, moving network seems to have solved it.

So that's my solution there for anyone with the same issue; either wait it out with ID or resort to changing networks. Bit of a shame as I was happy enough with ID but hey ho.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seem crazy that iD appear so inept on occasions, so a customer feels there’s no alternative but to switch provider to get fully functioning mobile telephone services. 

iD are great when everything works, but can be incredibly frustrating when something goes wrong. Anyone with a 24-month minimum term contract could find themselves in trouble, should something unexpectedly go wrong.

Userlevel 1

I completely agree. I had the luxury of being on a sim only rolling contract so could cancel any time with 30 days notice. Being stuck with a 24 month contract, as you say, would be be much more of a problem.

And the thing is other than that ID were fine. Good coverage, great value for money on the data plan. It was just the customer service. Even that wasn't necessarily bad, it was the bottleneck between ID and Three that seemed to be the problem from their end, so they say anyway. Just the sheer lackluster attempt to rectify it. It didn't come across as much of a priority. 

In our super fast 5G world you shouldn't have to be forced to switch networks because of something as fundamental as not being able to use basic services such as sms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Swaitsy83 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve switched networks, good luck with your new network.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?