Solved

chose new contract rather than upgrading, what to do with old contract?

• 4 March 2023
  • 1 reply

I just purchased a new contract with you via carphone warehouse as this was cheaper than an upgrade and I had a look through the community help forums. I have some questions 

1. I know I would have to go through alot of steps to keep my old number, I'm fine with a new one I guess, I was just wondering about confirmation of how you'd go about keeping the old number or not? I've seen about sending a pac code to a sim only payg on a different network then to the new phone on id

2. What do I do about the old contract? The end date is 30th April but in the breakdown it says if I cancelled now the contract would still end on the 30th April, does that mean I'd get charged still for the April billing on the old contract? Thus getting charged twice for both contracts in April? I've also seen the expensive leaving costs for if I cancel now. So should I wait until the 31st March to ensure I'm within the 30 day window? Or is there another way to avoid the leaving costs/paying the April bill since I'm not actually leaving I'm just moving to a new contract on your network?

3. If I would still have to pay fees by cancelling the old contract, would doing the long way of keeping my number (PAC code to sim only, then back to new phone) allow me to end my contract without having to pay for the April bill or leaving fees though the use of the PAC code?

3. I saw on the forums you have to make a new ID account on the app for the new contract, do I have to use a different email even after cancelling the old one as it takes time to go through? I saw that you can change email in the app but it says its for correspondence only and not for login, so would that mean i do have to give a different email should i have to make a new account for the new contract? Also do I even have to make a new account if the old contract is cancelled? Or would I still have to do it because the cancellation won't go through for so long?

I thought I'd ask all these as I'm not sure, but if there's a simpler way to go about this please let me know.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 6 March 2023, 14:15

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Hannah Bayliss,

Thanks for contacting us here and it seems you’ve done the research and just need clarification.

The information you’ve found is mostly correct.

When purchasing a new contract, you can’t keep your number via a PAC Code from one iD Plan to another.

Doing a triangle port (porting to a different network PAYG SIM then back again to iD Is the only way).

This for you is complicated due to still being in contract till April 2023.

You have the following options:

• Cancel the contract for the old number via a disconnection. We normally need 30-days notice but can also do this up to 90-days so we can have this end on the last date of your contract.
  • Request a PAC code and use this to do a trangle port to keep your number
  • Keep paying the contract and cancel in the last 30-days.

If you used a PAC code, you would incur a termination fee as the old contract ends in April 2023.

If you chose to do a 90-day disconnection, you’ll pay for the monthly bills and simply be disconnected on the last day of your old contract, no termination fee applied as you will have paid it off.

If you chose 30-day disconnection, the old contract is cancelled in 30-days time and a final bill produced. A termination fee is added for the remaining period.

As for your iD account, you can’t re-use the same username, even if you cancelled and joined new so a different email username will need to be used.

You have a Gmail address so you can just use a fullstop when registering and will work.

e.g test@gmail.com can be input as t.est@gmail.com 

Saves creating a new email just for the purpose of a username.

It just means you need to log-in using t.est@gmail.com moving forward. If you entered it as test@gmail.com you’d be logging into the old contract.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want us to help with cancelling.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?