Question

data usage

• 7 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I am very very angry with the service of your company. Since getting my new mobile more than 12 months ago I keep running out of data which never happened with my old mobile and I used alot more on my old mobile. You charged me so much more in add ons. When I went in a mobils phone shop the assistant told me he thinks you are scamming me. Now I kerp running out of data and every time I try to change my plan or apply for add ons it says it cant carry out the transaction. I am so frustrated with your company and I wish when I got this mobile I hadnt signed up with you. 

5 replies

I am very very angry with the service of your company. Since getting my new mobile more than 12 months ago I keep running out of data which never happened with my old mobile and I used alot more on my old mobile. You charged me so much more in add ons. When I went in a mobils phone shop the assistant told me he thinks you are scamming me. Now I kerp running out of data and every time I try to change my plan or apply for add ons it says it cant carry out the transaction. I am so frustrated with your company and I wish when I got this mobile I hadnt signed up with you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Karen Woodger 

I’m sorry to hear this, our SIM card wouldn’t use more or less data, it’s possible you’re on a faster connection therefore are using more generally but the amount of data used isn’t determined by us directly, it’s determined by the usage from the user.

If you’ve been charged extra for data, this may be because you’ve gone over your allowance and continued to use data, if your bill cap allows more to be spent, you may be charged further, if you wish to stop charges outside of your allowance, I’d recommend changing the bill cap to a comfortable amount.

Tom

When I was with three (same network that ID uses), there was a odd occurance on 2 months, where my typical usage was 5-10GB a month, and I had 100GB each month. Didn't need that much but it was a flash sale deal and was cheaper than some lower data plans.

But one month I got a text 9 days into my months allowance period, saying I'd used all my data. I checked my phone and it had not tracked that much at all, it was at 33GB which was still very odd as my behaviour had not changed, but for some reason three had the opinion I had used it all, and cut me off. 

A similar thing happened the following month, it turned out the app expressVPN had caused some sort of glitch, as my phone showed nearly all of that 33GB was that app.

I didn't quite understand how my phone could track 33gb usage but the network could think I'd used 100gb, but three gave me a "goodwill gesture" of 3gb even after I showed them my phones tracked usage. So I had to be very frugal for 21 days.

I discovered the VPNs involvement partway through the second month.

Do you use a VPN? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Ollywoly,

You can check the usage from the handset data settings.

From there you should also be set a date period which you can use to check how much data you have used in a certain period.

In some cases usage can be more due to apps running in the background which use data.

Kash

@Kash yeah, thats what I'm mentioning in my comment, however my phone only tracked 33gb used within the months allowance period, but three turned round and was adamant id used 100gb, even though my phone showed expressVPN's usage and background data usage. 

It was odd that it ate so much data, but it didn't use THAT much, must have been a glitch at their end. But they wouldn't budge or even tell me what it showed I had used it on, and they gave me a "goodwill gesture" of 3gb, which I had to make last 21 days.

Why iD Mobile?