Solved

google chat features wrong number

• 19 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I have ported my number over to ID mobile from Vodafone. My phone is the pixel 7 pro.

When I send  messages and it goes through as chat it sends from the old number. 

I've been into chat feature settings and it shows status connected with the old number showing. So Turned off chat features and turned back on. 

Status shows trying to verify number. Click button to verify number. Change number to new number. 

​​​​​But nothing changes old number still showing.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 19 October 2022, 13:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Turn OFF “Chat features” and leave it turned OFF.

Your Pixel 7 device has been linked with your initial iD number, on Google’s servers - the one allocated before you ported from Vodafone to iD.

In a week or so Google’s servers will ‘realise’, your device is using a different number.

Good luck @Sean Cragg

Userlevel 1

Cheers for the reply 

Will let you know how I get on 

@andewhite 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Sean Cragg - I’m not sure iD Mobile support RCS messaging, which is required to get the full functionality of “Chat features”. 
🤞

Userlevel 1

Been speaking to Google help and been through a load of troubleshooting steps and finally the only one that work worked as a factory reset. 

Userlevel 1

I had the same issue after porting from BT to EE.  I found a thread relating the SIM number shown unde the phone 'about' info.  

The proposed solution was to pop the SIM into either an iPhone or old Blackberry as they allow you to change the assigned SIM telephone no number.

I happened to have an old Blackberry 10, once I'd found a SIM holder (micro to mini) it took just 30 seconds to change the stored number on the SIM.

This resolves not only the assigned number under about, but also the linked number for chat.

Why iD Mobile?