Solved

How to enable WiFi calling on the Google Pixel 6/6 Pro (Android)

• 5 September 2022
  • 16 replies

How can I force my phone to use WiFi calling when I am in areas of poor reception.  My office has very little 3G but my phone stays connected rather than switching to WiFi calling.

icon

Best answer by Julian Hook 25 October 2022, 14:28

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jimole 

Sorry to hear you don’t get great signal in your office, however WiFi calling might be able to help here!

For WiFi calling on the Pixel 6 please follow the below;

Tap the Phone icon and go into the Phone app

Tap the 3 dots in the top right and go to “Settings”

Press “Calls”

WiFi calling should be a toggle-able option here!

Tom

Tom, I followed your procedure but there is no 'calls'  in the settings for phone!

I can get to toggle the WiFi calling on or off through settings/network and internet/calls and SMS.  

My problem is not toggling WiFi calling on and off but in a varying 3g signal the WiFi calling does not come on enough when the signal is low so I miss loads of calls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Jimole,

When you put the device in airplane mode, does this enable WiFi Calling?

This is the only way to manually force WiFi Calling since there’s no signal any other way.

If WiFi Calling is working on the device but the query is just down to forcing it as a priority, I don’t think this is possible unless you had a custom ROM installed or keep the phone in Airplane mode which isn’t really convenient.

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed, as you say, going into airplane mode then turning on WiFi does force WiFi calling but it seems a bit of a faff to have to do this every day!  

As it stands, sometimes I might get WiFi calling but if I went upstairs or outside in my office I would get some phone reception  (3g) and then if I return downstairs then no signal and no WiFi calling!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi Mohammed, as you say, going into airplane mode then turning on WiFi does force WiFi calling but it seems a bit of a faff to have to do this every day!  

As it stands, sometimes I might get WiFi calling but if I went upstairs or outside in my office I would get some phone reception  (3g) and then if I return downstairs then no signal and no WiFi calling!!

You might find within the Settings options of the Phone app, choices of how the phone works if Wi-Fi Calling is available - there might be a ‘Wi-Fi Calling preferred’ option?

Good luck @Jimole

Hi andewhite, before coming on this forum I communicated with a Google bot over this issue and they guided me through settings to where you say 'wifi calling preferred' is but this does not exist on my phone!  Google say this is because of my operator (Id mobile) but I am totally perplexed as to why this would be??

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Networks hide certain options to prevent their customers from making unwanted changes and this is one of them.

I guess iD Mobile don't want their customer base forcing WiFi calling in order to prevent a negative experience due to excessive load on their backend VoIP servers.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi andewhite, before coming on this forum I communicated with a Google bot over this issue and they guided me through settings to where you say 'wifi calling preferred' is but this does not exist on my phone!  Google say this is because of my operator (Id mobile) but I am totally perplexed as to why this would be??

Okay @Jimole, the way each network operator implements Wi-Fi Calling will ultimately depend on their technology supplier.

Wi-Fi Calling requires an IMS platform on the operator’s network in order to provide Wi-Fi Calling. 

I do know ‘Wi-Fi calling preferred’ option exists on the EE network, but they’re much more expensive than iD Mobile - I guess money talks.

I doubt iD will be able to help you, as Three UK provide the network platform for iD’s services.

Okay @Jimole, the way each network operator implements Wi-Fi Calling will ultimately depend on their technology supplier.

Wi-Fi Calling requires an IMS platform on the operator’s network in order to provide Wi-Fi Calling. 

I do know ‘Wi-Fi calling preferred’ option exists on the EE network, but they’re much more expensive than iD Mobile - I guess money talks.

I doubt iD will be able to help you, as Three UK provide the network platform for iD’s services.

This all makes sense but is still pretty bizarre.  I guess you have to cut corners to provide a cheap network!

Wifi Calling on the Google 6Pro is a known issue with the 6 Pro, the service is enabled with ID Mobile and I have the options to choose whether to use “wifi calling preferred”

If you enable aeroplane mode and disable it then it should work. The fault with this is entirely with Google, who claim to be going to issue a fix but it has never come, I suspect it never will now the Pixel 7’s have been released.

I have complained to Google and am awaiting a sensible response. The fault is not due to ID Mobile.

@Julian Hook  thanks for your reply, it slightly reassuring that someone else has this problem!  

As others have pointed out, the lack of ability to prioritise WiFi calling is down to Idmobile.   But the fundamental problem is that the phone is just too sensitive to mobile  networks or too slow to switch between mobile network and WiFi.  I have noticed that when I return home from work I can literally get out the car walk down the path make a cup of tea and sit down and maybe the 6 pro has found the WiFi!  By contrast my old pixel 3 would find the WiFi whilst I was in the car.  

How did you  go about complaining to Google?

@Jimole As far as I can make out the fault is not restricted to ID Mobile as the wifi calling is working fine on my older Pixel 4xl on the same network. I used the Google online support which gave me the option of a call back, they rang me straight away and we had the discussion, it has now been raised to a higher level in Google whatever that means, They have given me a credit of £85 in playstore so far but I want the phone changed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Julian Hook  thanks for your reply, it slightly reassuring that someone else has this problem!  

As others have pointed out, the lack of ability to prioritise WiFi calling is down to Idmobile.   But the fundamental problem is that the phone is just too sensitive to mobile  networks or too slow to switch between mobile network and WiFi.  I have noticed that when I return home from work I can literally get out the car walk down the path make a cup of tea and sit down and maybe the 6 pro has found the WiFi!  By contrast my old pixel 3 would find the WiFi whilst I was in the car.  

How did you  go about complaining to Google?

Hello @Jimole prioritisation of WiFi Calling over Mobile network is actually down to the handset.

WiFI Calling only kicks in if the connection/signal is low enough for WiFi Calling to activate.

This isn’t something we would prioritise on our end.

Mohammed

I've got the Pixel 6 Pro and WiFi calling seems to work without any issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Glad to hear @LenWebb,

Thanks for letting us know.

Mohammed

Like I put earlier Mohammed I'm using the Google Pixel 6 Pro, and everytime I connect to a WiFi hot-spot WiFi calling is connected straight away.

iD Mobile is the best network to be with👍👍

Why iD Mobile?