Question

i phone 15

• 23 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi I have an I phone 15 and it won’t let me send and receive via I message using my mobile number it will only go through my email address. Please can somebody help me please 

9 replies

Hi Tracey,

I’ve got the same problem, it was coming up with an error almost instantly when trying to activate my mobile number, and I'd sometimes get an ‘exclamation mark’ on the messages app after trying to activate the number in iMessage settings.

First, turn off iMessage and FaceTime.

remove any VPN app’s you have on the phone, check the time, date and timezone are correct (mine was set to Amsterdam)

Next, check if you have international calls/texts enabled on your id account (under ‘My Services’) - if its disabled enable it.

Reset your phone https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iph8903c3ee6/ios

And try again.

If still no joy - contact apple using the apple support app (you have free support for 90days on the purchase of a new iPhone). If they can't fix it and refer you back to ID mobile, then try and speak to them, I couldn't get through so I've just picked up a replacement SIM card at curry’s and changed the SIM, and now it seems to be working better as I now have ‘waiting for activation’ which I'm told could take unto 24hrs.

I’ll update this post if I manage to get mine activated! good luck.

So… i think it’s back to square one. Just got a message to say failed to activate. Turned imessage off and back on and its waiting activation again.

This has to be something broken with id mobile, as its not being able to send a text where it needs to, to confirm we own the number. i also tried putting my sim card back into my old phone and it was the same.

Will try their tech support in the morning and post back here any updates.

Sent a msg to ID and it was raised with their tech team - its now resolved itself though, I haven't done anything different.

Userlevel 1

I’m having this issue too – tried all of Apple’s suggestions and its been 20 hours since it dropped out (it initially worked while setting up my new iPhone).

Any way to contact an agent as I assume this is down to iD? I’ve noticed the iPhone 15 isn’t on their ‘approved device’ list and wondered if this is a reason? 

Raise it with the id support team on there webchat. They must have fixed mine.

do you have any other apple device by anychance? I got a msg this morning on my macbook asking to accept my number for iMessage

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Tracey Leonard, @steve-ne and @AliceRR 

I’d recommend the following for any iMessage/SMS related issues on an iPhone;

1) Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2) Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3) Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5) Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6) Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under "Start new conversations from:"

If you are having issues with step 4 please reset network settings and try again.

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Once your port is fully complete (please allow until 10pm on the port date) the number should work with iMessage, as iMessage is an Apple service we don’t have much or really any control over their service, it may be worth speaking directly to Apple to see if they have any suggestions.

To avoid having issues, we’d recommend putting in the iD Mobile SIM card only after the port has fully complete, so the iPhone doesn’t attach itself to the ‘temporary’ iD Mobile number.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thanks Tom! At the time, the steps you outlined above were not working for me, which does lead me to believe it is an Apple/compatibility issue. I had a similar issue when I got my last iPhone, and others experiencing it deems it not uncommon (but not any less frustrating!).

Fortunately my issue resolved itself within 48 hrs of it rearing its head, but I appreciate the reply. Hoping it works for others in the community.

I’m still having this issue with my new iPhone 15 5 days on, apple think its iD not being compatible and told me to get an eSim which iD don't do. Two days ago iD told me to go to curry’s and get a replacement sim which would solve the problem and it hasn't. so close to paying the settlement fee for the sim and changing providers!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ahfraz 

I’m unsure why Apple would say we’re not compatible, iD Mobile SIMs are set up by default to support iMessage and FaceTime.

After having reset network settings, are you still having issues?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?