Question

imessage and facetime not activating

• 3 January 2024
  • 8 replies

My iMessage and FaceTime will not activate and keeps coming up with error- I HAVE TRIED THE FOLLOWING MULTIPLE TIMES! And doesn’t work!! SOMEONE HELP!

1) Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2) Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3) Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5) Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6) Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under "Start new conversations from:"

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you tried turning your iPhone OFF for at least 30-minutes?

Have you spoken to Apple support? 

Is this your first iPhone, or have you upgraded?

Both iMessage and FaceTime are Apple services, which require a data connection. However, most activation issues seem to sort themselves out after a few days, which is frustrating.

This is my 4th iPhone. Never ever had an issue before. 
yes I have turned my phone off for 40 minutes.

i called Apple and they said it’s an ID issue.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Are you a new iD customer? 
If yes, is the mobile number you wanted to keep still linked with your ‘old’ iPhone? 

No the number has ported over and my number on settings is showing my number I want to keep

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Mia Anne, perhaps Apple have linked the number you wanted to keep to another iPhone that you own/owned? 

Apple register your mobile number against the Apple iPhone device ID, and having the same mobile number linked to different iPhone devices might cause a problem with the Apple activation process.

Ok, so what am I meant to do now?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe visit an Apple store and see if any in-store staff can assist activating the Apple iMessage and FaceTime services, on your Apple iPhone.

Otherwise, perhaps ask Apple to explain why activating the Apple iMessage and FaceTime services is an iD Mobile issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Mia Anne 

When you make a call outbound to someone, does the correct number show on their side or the incorrect one?

I’d recommend the above from @andewhite, the iMessage/FaceTime service isn’t one we at iD operate, this is likely in the hands of Apple.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?