Solved

iPhone 14 and eSIM

• 8 September 2022
  • 9 replies

I’ve read that the new iPhone 14 range are eSIM only and I’ve noticed that ID are showing them for pre-order. Does this mean that ID Mobile will be supporting eSIM’s? I will be getting an iPhone 14 pro and was hoping that I will not be forced to move to a different network!

icon

Best answer by andewhite 8 September 2022, 15:37

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Nope, unlikely iD will offer an eSIM option anytime soon @MartinB.

To use an eSIM, the mobile network operator needs to allow remote provisioning, which means investing in infrastructure and IT systems.

Given all the UK operators are investing 3G switch-off, 4G enhancement, and 5G deployment, my guess is any eSIM support is well down their to-do lists.

That’s very helpful, thanks. It does seem puzzling that they are therefore selling a phone that can’t use their network!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

That’s very helpful, thanks. It does seem puzzling that they are therefore selling a phone that can’t use their network!

I suspect outside the US, an iPhone 14 will still have a SIM card tray (supporting a nano-SIM).

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hey @andewhite @MartinB

@andewhite is absolutely correct there, any devices outside of the US will have a SIM card tray. 

So, you’ll be able to use an iD Mobile SIM in there :) 

Thanks, 

Nikhil 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

UK or US?

Hey @andewhite @MartinB

@andewhite is absolutely correct there, any devices outside of the UK will have a SIM card tray. 

Userlevel 1

Iphone 14 has both eSIM and nano-SIM so standard SIM card should be good. Luckily just bought ID mobile sim card 60 Gig for a tenner. 5g here we come.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-14-pro/specs/

SIM Card

• Dual SIM (nano‑SIM and eSIM)13
  • Dual eSIM support13
Userlevel 1

This is UK spec

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

UK or US?

Hey @andewhite @MartinB

@andewhite is absolutely correct there, any devices outside of the UK will have a SIM card tray. 

Sorry, typo :) Any devices outside of the US will have SIM card trays. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This is UK spec

Footnote 13…

Why iD Mobile?