Question

iPhone XS poor audio quality on phone calls

• 9 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Wi-Fi Calling is on
I have tried with and without Noise Cancellation; with and without VoLTE
I have made a soft reset and full hard reset back to factory settingsĀ on my iPhone XS
The audio quality is muffled and echoes for me and for my caller
Audio call in FaceBook Messenger the audio quality is very good
I would appreciate any help. Ā Thank you.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

HelloĀ @MartinG0

Could you test with headphones plugged into the device when youā€™re on a call via the normal caller?

Just trying to see if this is an issue with the deviceā€™s software or if this is down to coverage.Ā 

Ā 

ā€œAudio call in FaceBook Messenger the audio quality is very goodā€

How were these calls made? Using data?

Ā 

Mohammed

Ā 

Good afternoon Mohammed.
Thanks for picking up my enquiry.
My model iPhone doesnā€™t have a socket for earphones. Ā I have some Bluetooth headphones which I will try as you suggest.
Regarding the question about FaceBook Messenger using data. Ā I donā€™t have the knowledge to answer that. Ā I made the call by clicking on the phone handset icon within the app.
I will get back to you. Ā Thanks again.
Tuesday, 10 August 2021 at 13:21

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No problem Martin,

If you were on WiFi when you made the call, then itā€™s possible that the WiFi connection was used, this would probably mean the issues youā€™re having are coverage related.

If you made the call on mobile data (e.g. away from home and not connected to WiFi) then itā€™s likely a software issue/handset fault.

Hoping once youā€™ve tested in ear phones and if you can also test with WiFi on and WiFi off(with data on) to rule this out.

Ā 

Mohammed

Ā 

I have been using iD Mobile for nearly a month. Ā My usage is very low. Ā The audio quality of my phone calls has been variable. Ā For example, yesterday I spoke to my wife who was also in my home village of Long Compton (south Warwickshire) so probably through the same cell. Ā The audio quality was nothing short of shocking. Ā For both of us. Ā On the same day I received a call from an Oxford landline and the audio quality was acceptable, if not brilliant. Ā These experiences suggest to me the network is responsible for my issue with poor audio quality, not my iPhone XS. Ā I would be interested to know if this issue could be resolved.

Thank you Mohammed for your help. Ā Itā€™s appreciated.

I can report I receive SMS messages for 2 step verification more reliably and more promptly through iD Mobileā€™s Three network thanĀ I did previously through Virginā€™s EE network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @MartinG0,

Can you please advise if you have tried the SIM in a different handset and check if that makes a difference?

Ā 

Ā 

Kash

Ā 

Hi Kash.

Yes I have. Ā And to be sure I tried again just now. Ā I put my SIM in my wifeā€™s iPhone XS Max and phoned our home landline on the 01608 exchange. Ā The audio quality was the same as when using my iPhone XS. Ā That is to say muffled and unpleasant. Ā Further I can confirm that audio quality landline to landline is fine.
Therefore I am as convinced as I can be that the iPhones are not at fault. Ā Audio quality when using other applications on the iPhones is always excellent.

Regards, Martin Rogers.
Tuesday, 17 August 2021 at 15:31

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @MartinG0Ā 

Ā 

Please could you confirm your postcode? I can then check for any issues within your area.

Ā 

Thanks

MichelleĀ 

Of course Michelle

CV36 5LN

Why iD Mobile?